Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Crankcase.cracked stud hole.

One solution could be to spot face the area inside the crankcase where the stud comes through and fit an Unbrako (socket head) screw from the inside. This is a popular way of replacing suspect studs. Success will depend on how much the crack has weakened this area.
Ron Hayhurst

I would have it TIG welded.You can A7 weld crankcases on the extremities, Welding down the sides you seem to just chase the crack for some reason.

I have also successfully drilled through a crankcase and fitted a bolt from the inside although the job was on a single cylinder air cooled engine (Isetta 300) not an A7. With a cracked stud hole like you describe I might try filling it with 'Lumiweld' then drilling and tapping a new thread. Of course you would need to be careful to get the hole back in precisely the same place.

In my previous message I omitted to say that on the crankcases I have modified I have kept the existing thread and cleaned it through to the inside. The socket head screw was fully threaded so as to sit on the spot face. I can see that a bolt with a diameter the same as the stud would be fine, although maybe an extra bit of a fiddle when assembling the cylinder block.
Ron