Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: IGNITION COILS

Have you tried a old coil yet ?. I would recommend a Lucas one from the 1960s.
It cured the problem you have for me..
Martin

Not yet Martin, I am trying to isolate the problem by doing one suggested remedy at a time.

As part of routine maintenance I notice the CB points gap is mighty wide - around 20 thou. What effect would this have on the coil's performance?

That would reduce the dwell angle, i.e. the points would open sooner and close later so the coil would have a shorter duty cycle and therefore run cooler.

Ian Mc.

Bu**er, it wouldn't be that then. May put an old coil on at the weekend and see if that helps - snow permitting!

Hello Brian,
I'm pleased you might try a old coil. For the first 35 years working as a mechanic I never replaced a coil ( they just did not fail ) however in the last 5 years I have replaced 7, the last one was on a morris 1000 it is positioned on top of the dynamo next to the engine block therefore it overheats even quicker.
Martin

One factor could be plug gaps; Austin always recommended 0.018" to 0.020" for sevens in period but I wouldn't be surprised if today most people set them to 0.025" or even greater.

Ian Mc.

1 2