Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: The Automobile Magazine

Ray,

Also, as Beatrice Canning Brown notes -

Thirteen 750 cc C types Midgets started, only seven finished.
Nine 750 cc Ulsters started including four supercharged cars.
The four supercharged Ulsters were handicapped to the 1100 cc class (90 laps more than the MGs). Eight Austins finished the race (an unblown Ulster broke its crank).
The winning MG averaged 65.63 mph the 9th placed works Ulster averaged 68.24 mph, the 11th placed works Ulster 65.95.

Tony.

Ray White
Incidentally, the Double Twelve M types had their capacity reduced to 750cc to comply with the class H regulations which makes their results over the supercharged Ulsters even more impressive.

The race was a handicap.

The 'winning' MG of March and Staniland completed 601 laps.
The supercharged Austin of Poppe and Barnes completed 625 laps.
Both were class H.

Just keeping you on your toes, chaps!

I bet no one would have guessed the ding dong would still be going all these years later!

All good fun

I see there's a mention of a plague of Austin 7's these days.....

Sandy Croall
I see there's a mention of a plague of Austin 7's these days.....

I saw that too, Sandy. (moustache twirling Bentley owner chokes on his G&T!)

They dont like it up 'em,Mr.Mannering.

"Now pay attention, men....
It has come to my notice that the VSCC has been infiltrated by a swarm of Austin Sevens....."

Ray White
"Now pay attention, men....
It has come to my notice that the VSCC has been infiltrated by a swarm of Austin Sevens....."

Some might be surprised how many VSCC members, owning large and expensive cars have, over the last decade, purchased vintage chummys to enable them to take part in the highly regarded fun and games of the Edwardian and Light Car section.
I tend to believe that this demand has been a contributary factor in the rise in prices of A7 tourers - especially vintage models - over the same period.

Ian Mc.

Further to Ians comment...

The VSCC Light Car magazine picked up and has reprinted the article Nostalgia I recently posted here. Dunno if it will increase or decrease Seven interest! I guess any old car, including vintage Bentleys, are outclassed in modern traffic, so may as well go the whole way with a Seven!

As some effort went into compiling it, I was quite pleased. It sort of reduces the unit cost. Rather as more funerals help justify my suit!

Bob Culver

I would like to thank those who took an interest in my search for the VSCC trials location featuring my late Father's MG M Type midget. VSCC librarian Ian Fergusson has confirmed that it was the 1950 Bisley rally. (Apparently, trials were called rallies in those days). They have a photo of a different car taken from an almost identical spot on 26 February 1950. Unfortunately, they have no record of OU 5990, so the search goes on.

photo 001-1.jpg

It seems a great coincidence that you are searching for M Type MG UO 5990 and an M Type MG appears in the same trial with registration number UW 5990 - are you sure ? Just a thought.

Tony.

Tony Press
It seems a great coincidence that you are searching for M Type MG UO 5990 and an M Type MG appears in the same trial with registration number UW 5990 - are you sure ? Just a thought.

Tony.

Sorry, it's my fault. I meant UW 5990 the other number is simply a typo. Unfortunately, you can't go back to make corrections after a while.

This photo was in my Fathers house but he couldn't ever remember quite where and when it was taken. After he died, I took the photo out of it's frame and discovered the sides had been folded back. On the right hand side the Marshal's arm band reads VSC; I took this to mean VSCC. There was also a date of 1950 stamped on the back. The VSCC have confirmed that this picture was taken during the Bisley rally in that year so although they don't have any record of Dad's car UW 5990 it's a safe bet that the VSCC trial at Bisley is the location.

Some might be surprised how many VSCC members, owning large and expensive cars have, over the last decade, purchased vintage chummys to enable them to take part in the highly regarded fun and games of the Edwardian and Light Car section.
I tend to believe that this demand has been a contributary factor in the rise in prices of A7 tourers - especially vintage models - over the same period.

Ian Mc.[/quote]

You seem to perhaps imply that it is the events/club that has made these people buy chummies. You are wrong, many had them either all along, or at the beginning of their motoring lives, and have always known them to be excellent all round cars and near constant fun.

And as for M types and Morrises, well, they may be 'better' but they are still porridge. W

Porridge is good for you!

1 2