Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Ulsteroïd dimensions

Hi everybody,
This is probably a candid question but as I very much like the dimensions, compactness and general look of the Leigh's ulsteroïd I would like to know if somebody has those (the dimensions I mean...)
By the way what is an "ulsteroïd"? I would guess it is a copy of Ulster? Is it an SWB or LWB?
Thanks,
Renaud

Re: Ulsteroïd dimensions

This drawing shows the dimensions for an "Ulster" - 1930/31 Austin Sport.
It is a SWB car, many specials are 6 inches longer to go on the later chassis.

DavidK
This drawing shows the dimensions for an "Ulster" - 1930/31 Austin Sport.
It is a SWB car, many specials are 6 inches longer to go on the later chassis.

Thanks David. The drawing is difficult to read but this is fine. I'll print it and compute a scale.

renaud
Hi everybody,
This is probably a candid question but as I very much like the dimensions, compactness and general look of the Leigh's ulsteroïd I would like to know if somebody has those (the dimensions I mean...)
By the way what is an "ulsteroïd"? I would guess it is a copy of Ulster? Is it an SWB or LWB?
Thanks,
Renaud

Hi Renaud

Ulsteroid doesn't really mean anything at all, but my use of it would be for a generally A7 Sports "Ulster" shaped car, which is not attempting to impersonate a real one. Some, such as our own "Ulsteroid", make no attempt to be an accurate copy (ours is LWB for a start) but rather try to capture the spirit of such cars.

A car which is an accurate copy of a genuine car, built by Austin, would in my mind be classed as a replica.

My View may well spark lively discussion, as this is an emotive subject for many!!

Stuart

Stuart Palmer
renaud
Hi everybody,
Thanks,
Renaud

Hi Renaud

Ulsteroid doesn't really mean anything at all, but my use of it would be for a generally A7 Sports "Ulster" shaped car, which is not attempting to impersonate a real one. Some, such as our own "Ulsteroid", make no attempt to be an accurate copy (ours is LWB for a start) but rather try to capture the spirit of such cars.

A car which is an accurate copy of a genuine car, built by Austin, would in my mind be classed as a replica.

My View may well spark lively discussion, as this is an emotive subject for many!!

Stuart

Yes Stuart, I grasped that! Then replica here is an ambiguous term too... Photos and dimensions of your own would be very welcome!
Thanks,
Renaud

Here you are.

Sorry I don't have access to the car at the moment as it is shut away in its trailer at my Parents house, However I think its about 11 foot long and 4 foot 6 inches wide. approximately.

Wow that is huge!

My 6' 9" wheelbase LWB Ulster is ten feet long and 45 inches wide.

Julian Hunt
Wow that is huge!

My 6' 9" wheelbase LWB Ulster is ten feet long and 45 inches wide.

Maybe I have exaggerated its size a little............

I've heard that before Stuart!

Thanks to all.
What I would specifically like is:
height of the hood/rad
length of hood
max width of cockpit
And, Julian, photos of yours welcome too.
Renaud

Renaud,

can I recommend that you consider buying this:

A Guide to Building Reproduction Austin Seven Ulsters by Chris Gould
A 'must buy'! 116 pages.
£25.00

http://www.pwa7c.co.uk/bookshop.php

Ruairidh Dunford
Renaud,

can I recommend that you consider buying this:

A Guide to Building Reproduction Austin Seven Ulsters by Chris Gould
A 'must buy'! 116 pages.
£25.00

http://www.pwa7c.co.uk/bookshop.php

You most certainly can Ruairidh! I did'nt know that booklet. I've bought the Green book and the Bill William's some years ago. I don't really want to build an ulster-like it's just that I like the Leigh's car proportions.
Buying in £ is a pain in the neck though! I'll see.
Thanks,
Renaud

I use PayPal for small foreign currency transfers.

So do I Ruairidh but I don't think they take it. I'll verify though.

Ask a friend to buy it for you, then transfer the money to "their" PayPal....

I think I have a copy somewhere that is surplus to requirements - only a few oily thumb prints

I'll dig it out and get in touch with you off line to see if you are interested. Not as pricey as a new one and just as good!

Hugh Barnes
I think I have a copy somewhere that is surplus to requirements - only a few oily thumb prints

I'll dig it out and get in touch with you off line to see if you are interested. Not as pricey as a new one and just as good!

Oily thumbs are obviously a bonus Hugh! Thanks a lot for the offer and, yes, I am interested. If you take PayPal that would be perfect but I'll find a way.
Thanks again to all.
Renaud

Location: Still incredibly sunny and warm Brittany, sleeping with an opened window

Have followed these posts but still curious about the term ulsteroid. I presumed it was derived from some moulded kit body.

I think it was Sandy who (commendably) established the latter day regular use of RK, RP etc
Can anyone trace the popular use of the term ulsteroid?

I do have a theory based on the effect of the ride of an Ulster (without Mosely cushion) on the anatomy.

Bob Culver

Bob Culver

Can anyone trace the popular use of the term ulsteroid?

I do have a theory based on the effect of the ride of an Ulster (without Mosely cushion) on the anatomy.

Bob Culver

Ho, ho! I shall bear that in mind when upholstering mine!

The suffix "oid" means like and implies an incomplete or imperfect resemblance.

I have followed these posts and am curious about the term Troll, I presume it can be applied here?

Bob Culver said:

"I do have a theory based on the effect of the ride of an Ulster (without Mosely cushion) on the anatomy."

Well, all I can report is that I suffer from intermitent lower back pain and a spin on the roads of Surrey/Sussex in my LWB Ulsteroid sorts it out.

Of course we are not all as blessed with the finely surfaced billiard table roads of New Zealand

I would like to thank all who answered my query.
Specifically Hugh Barnes who kindly sold me his copy of the book nicely pointed to by Ruairidh, and Julian Hunt who took the time to put a ruler on his car and send me measurements.
Cheers,
Renaud

Location: Warmest Brittany, people, mostly girls, bathing in the sea just in front of the house!

Thanks Ruairidh

The question was in all seriousness. On encountering this Forum I noticed frequent reference to cars cannibalised for ulsteroids. I presumed it was the name of some proprietary kit, just as Ford 10s became Bucklers, but then the variety became evident.

I presume there have been/are body kits for Sevens. Somehow I got the impression Bill Boddy's car was one.

Gratifying to note that, as well as being masterful at woodwork, Martin is appreciative of humour, and more!

Bob Culver

I just received the book. Thanks Hugh! I'm somewhat disapointed because I still could'nt find any greasy spot... Lot of precious tricks there though.
I will probably ask here about the availability now of some of the "Components & Services" listed at the end (4th ed. 1998 ). Right now I wonder for example if Lois Raeburn can still provide tachos & instruments?
Renaud

What about the availability of some of the "Components & Services" listed at the end of "A Guide to Building Reproduction Austin Seven Ulsters by Chris Gould(4th ed. 1998 )".
Right now I wonder for example if Lois Raeburn can still provide tachos & instruments?
Renaud

I call our Ulsteroid that to indicate to anyone interested that it is based on an Ulster style body, in this case a Chris Gould GRP moulding, and the rest is mechanically Austin Seven with modifications. I also refer to it as a Special, because there is no claim that it is an Ulster replica.
In this particular car the chassis was originally Ruby, but it is shortened to early chassis dimensions, and the A frame is widened at the rear to accommodate a later D type axle. The gearbox is late four speed with close ratio gears and a very effective home made remote control. Instruments are Austin Seven type with a needle type late speedo and 0-20 oil pressure gauge, also an electronic rev counter, and a water temperature gauge I bought from a back street garage in Italy. Lights are modern and electrics are 12 volt. Since the photos I published I have fitted smaller headlights; they have 35 watt H4 bulbs, and you can see where you are going with no discharge on the ammeter. There is a modern radiator core which is very effective, and it is disguised by a stainless steel mesh. I have an electric fan, but only switch it on after long fast hills if the temperature goes over 90 C.
I am happy to answer any specific questions, and also to accept euros for any parts you wish me to buy, converting at near interbank rate. If you want to see the car it will be participating at Vintage Revival Montlhery next May. I have taken it to France many times, including Brittany, on the Fougeres Rally. Direct contact to lordshipvilla@hotmail.co.uk may be better than the forum.

Robert Leigh
I call our Ulsteroid that to indicate to anyone interested that it is based on an Ulster style body, in this case a Chris Gould GRP moulding, and the rest is mechanically Austin Seven with modifications. I also refer to it as a Special, because there is no claim that it is an Ulster replica.
In this particular car the chassis was originally Ruby, but it is shortened to early chassis dimensions, and the A frame is widened at the rear to accommodate a later D type axle. The gearbox is late four speed with close ratio gears and a very effective home made remote control. Instruments are Austin Seven type with a needle type late speedo and 0-20 oil pressure gauge, also an electronic rev counter, and a water temperature gauge I bought from a back street garage in Italy. Lights are modern and electrics are 12 volt. Since the photos I published I have fitted smaller headlights; they have 35 watt H4 bulbs, and you can see where you are going with no discharge on the ammeter. There is a modern radiator core which is very effective, and it is disguised by a stainless steel mesh. I have an electric fan, but only switch it on after long fast hills if the temperature goes over 90 C.
I am happy to answer any specific questions, and also to accept euros for any parts you wish me to buy, converting at near interbank rate. If you want to see the car it will be participating at Vintage Revival Montlhery next May. I have taken it to France many times, including Brittany, on the Fougeres Rally. Direct contact to lordshipvilla@hotmail.co.uk may be better than the forum.

All those details are invaluable Robert. Being in Brittany is very remote, like being on Mars re A7 matters.
I'll appreciate more photos to my email and what you would have to sell too.
Thanks.
Renaud

I googled the Lois Raeburn instruments name but got only one reference with Austin Harris in 2003 giving a phone number for him. I believe this fellow is now out of business?
Renaud

Renaud, Alan and Lois Raeburn were a husband and wife team producing and selling Austin 7 parts. Sadly Alan passed away a few years back, Lois continued to market some of the range, I believe that has now scaled back although due to my current remote location I can not be certain. If you are seeking instruments try Willie Mckenzie at Austin Repro he has a good range to suit the Ulsteroid builder

Thanks Ian. I was fearing something like that. I'm no chicken of the year either... Thanks for the tip about Austin Repro.
Renaud

Renaud - my experience has been that these sorts of things will always turn up. If you embark on an Ulsteroid project, you will have a year or two's work ahead of you and niceties like instruments, lamps etc, will come up for sale during that time.