Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
1930 RK Saloon Pytchly Sunroof Rebuild

Unhappy with the repairs done to my 1930 RK saloon following our accident last year, and encouraged by the achievements of other forum contributors, especially the van rebuilds, I thought I should be able to do a better job myself.

So, in August, with some trepidation, I took a deep breath and dismantled the entire roof structure!

Before starting on the rebuild work I did a lot of research to enable me to return my car to its original construction just as it was before the accident. I also read carefully all the details put forward in the recent “Van” threads to guide me on the method of fitting fabric to the finished roof.

Acknowledgement: I would like to express my appreciation to the following RK owners and Forum contributors for their kind help with photographs and other information which was invaluable: Robin Oldfield, Malcolm Watts, Dickon Armstrong, Dave (Austin in the shed), Peter Johnson, and Russell (Squeak) in Australia.

My first job, after removing the entire roof structure, was to remove the distorted and broken windscreen frame and then make the door/windscreen pillars upright! I achieved this with careful use of a small hydraulic jack and a strong webbing strap together with suitable pieces of timber. This worked well and with patience I eventually got them square and upright. Also, I made and positioned a square, size accurate, dummy windscreen frame made from ply so that the correct and square aperture would be maintained during the rebuild.

I bought planks of Ash, sharpened my plane, chisels and searched for my dormant wood working skills, before beginning work making the timber components. I starting with the two main horizontal members above the doors which form the base of the roof structure. Working with ash wood was very rewarding and I soon began to enjoy making and fitting the shaped parts. I even got up early each morning eager to maintain progress!
I should have bought a band saw but was put off by the expense and thinking I would not have a use for it after the job was finished, so I managed to do all the shaped and curved pieces with my jigsaw and hand tools and a few other power tools. Probably would have been quicker and easier with a band saw.

There was a lot of tricky working out to get the Pytchley roof details correct as there were almost no originals parts left on my car to copy. However, as stated above, I had lots of photographs and other details kindly supplied by fellow Austineers to help me.

So, a few pictures to show what I have done and more pictures will follow:-

photo DSC_10959Amed.jpg
 photo DSC_30969.jpg
 photo DSC_31974A.jpg
 photo DSC_32978.jpg
 photo DSC_40252.jpg
 photo DSC_50257AMedRes.jpg
 photo DSC_60258AMedRes.jpg
 photo DSC_81936AMedRes.jpg

Re: 1930 RK Saloon Pytchly Sunroof Rebuild

That looks fantastic Bryan!

That looks brilliant Bryan, I find working with ash very satisfying.

Bryan,

Wow!! All I can say is your woodworking skills are excellent- well done. The finished job will be wonderful.

Tony.

Bryan,
Don't cover it with fabric,just paint it with yacht varnish and leave it as it is! That is beautiful!
Dave.

Most impressive! I'm envious of your woodworking skills. Looking forward to photos of the finished project. Robert

Good morning Bryan - what a fantastic job! Were you able to source the Ash in the Stafford area? (No puns please from other contributors about visiting the site of the fireworks factory which went up in smoke on Thursday night).
Regards from the creative county
Stuart

Thank you for your kind words everyone.

I promise there will be more pics and you will see the finished job.

Yes, Stuart, I bought my ash from A K Williams a really old fashioned Builders Merchant at Madley, Telford. They were very helpful.

Bryan.

Lovely job, Bryan.

Ian Mc.

1930 RK Roof Rebuild

Following the reconstruction of the main roof structure, a completely new Pychly sliding panel had to be made to follow exactly the curved line of the main roof so that the panel would slide freely and easily on its rails. As you can see, both the cross members and the longitudinal pieces of the panel are curved so lots of work with the spokeshave!

Additionally, the metal side shrouds were both bent out of shape and had been shortened so new ones had to be made. These are cuved along their length and rolled over at the side. I bought 1.2mm steel sheet cut to size and made two sets of wood formers followed by a few bashes with one of my trusty Birmingham screwdrivers to get the shape!

Altogether there was quite a lot of work in the sliding panel to get it just right as you can see from the following pictures.

photo DSC_0237.jpg

photo DSC_0388.jpg
 photo DSC_0399.jpg

photo DSC01942.jpg

photo DSC01942.jpg

photo DSC01943.jpg

photo DSC01950.jpg

The next stage will be the fabric covering using all the tips given in the previous “van” threads so watch this space!

Bryan.

Very impressive, Bryan. This is what it's all about. You must have a great sense of job satisfaction.

Well done!

Looking very good

That looks absolutely fantastic, Bryan.

Want a job?

Splendid job. I agree that it should be left like that! Alternately you could do another one and put it above the chimney?
I don't varnish wood anymore (floors, furnitures), I oii it. I prefer the finish, more natural.
Congratulations.
Renaud

Hey...., that’s very kind of you and thanks for all your compliments. However, the real stars are all you contributors and “Friends” on this wonderful forum who showed me what can be achieved and gave me the confidence to have a go! I was particularly encouraged by the two “Van” threads and Rob’s “Making a Body”. I find, with advancing years, I’ve lost a degree of confidence and now have to push myself to do things that appear a bit difficult!

Moreover, thanks for the offer Martin, but you wouldn’t want to employ me – my productivity is VERY low!!

As Ray suggested, I have gained a lot of satisfaction repairing this RK roof, once I got started, and I have enjoyed working with Ash as Dave Mann remarked. Also, creating something is rewarding and this forum is often a great starting point for projects based on ownership of a Longridge Seven – a big thank you to you all.

Bryan.

Here, as promised, are pictures of the finished roof rebuild on my RK saloon. The roof was finished at the end of November but I have been waiting for the return of the repaired and re-plated windscreen to finish off. However, all is now complete, road tested and ready for the Light Car and Edwardian Section Welsh Weekend in a week’s time.

photo DSC_0308 med.jpg

photo DSC_0332 med.jpg

photo DSC_0392 med.jpg

photo DSC_0483.jpg

photo DSC02087 Med .jpg

photo DSC02086 Med .jpg

As always, a big thank you to all of you who gave me help and advise.

Bryan.

Just lovely, well down Bryan, fascinating to see the progress on this.

Bryan, an amazing job
I am tempted to suggest that it probably looks better than when it originally left the factory.

Ian Mc.

What a beautiful job. Congratulations Bryan. Enjoy the Welsh weekend

Brilliant job Bryan.

Thank you Ruairidh, Ian, David and Dave.

That is absolutely stunning work Bryan, I'm glad my RP roof is mostly metal, I can handle that!

If I can finish my RK like that I will be well happy !
What material did you cover the roof with?

Thank you Ivor and Dave.

Dave, I should have said what material I used! I used the much recommended Everflex Vinyl Hooding which I obtained from Martrim (WWW.Martin.co.uk) at Sandbach. It is very durable, did the job very well, and is easy to work with.

Also, I should have said that I covered the whole roof, including the nose piece over the windscreen, in one piece so as to ensure integrity of waterproofing around the front and the water run-off channel. I then cut the opening for the sliding panel.

Proper job! Well done

Bryan,

Excellent work - I find it hard to believe you are not a trained cabinet maker/upholster or similar !

Tony.

Thank you P not S, and Tony in OZ.

No Tony, no formal training! I was lucky to have woodwork lessons at school which have stood me in good stead and I've done one or two big DIY projects in my lifetime. However, the downside was no metalwork lessons at school which was a real loss; until I reached 40 and decided that I would benefit from a course in machine shop practise at the local technical college which has proved really useful!