Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ulsteroïd dimensions

I call our Ulsteroid that to indicate to anyone interested that it is based on an Ulster style body, in this case a Chris Gould GRP moulding, and the rest is mechanically Austin Seven with modifications. I also refer to it as a Special, because there is no claim that it is an Ulster replica.
In this particular car the chassis was originally Ruby, but it is shortened to early chassis dimensions, and the A frame is widened at the rear to accommodate a later D type axle. The gearbox is late four speed with close ratio gears and a very effective home made remote control. Instruments are Austin Seven type with a needle type late speedo and 0-20 oil pressure gauge, also an electronic rev counter, and a water temperature gauge I bought from a back street garage in Italy. Lights are modern and electrics are 12 volt. Since the photos I published I have fitted smaller headlights; they have 35 watt H4 bulbs, and you can see where you are going with no discharge on the ammeter. There is a modern radiator core which is very effective, and it is disguised by a stainless steel mesh. I have an electric fan, but only switch it on after long fast hills if the temperature goes over 90 C.
I am happy to answer any specific questions, and also to accept euros for any parts you wish me to buy, converting at near interbank rate. If you want to see the car it will be participating at Vintage Revival Montlhery next May. I have taken it to France many times, including Brittany, on the Fougeres Rally. Direct contact to lordshipvilla@hotmail.co.uk may be better than the forum.

Robert Leigh
I call our Ulsteroid that to indicate to anyone interested that it is based on an Ulster style body, in this case a Chris Gould GRP moulding, and the rest is mechanically Austin Seven with modifications. I also refer to it as a Special, because there is no claim that it is an Ulster replica.
In this particular car the chassis was originally Ruby, but it is shortened to early chassis dimensions, and the A frame is widened at the rear to accommodate a later D type axle. The gearbox is late four speed with close ratio gears and a very effective home made remote control. Instruments are Austin Seven type with a needle type late speedo and 0-20 oil pressure gauge, also an electronic rev counter, and a water temperature gauge I bought from a back street garage in Italy. Lights are modern and electrics are 12 volt. Since the photos I published I have fitted smaller headlights; they have 35 watt H4 bulbs, and you can see where you are going with no discharge on the ammeter. There is a modern radiator core which is very effective, and it is disguised by a stainless steel mesh. I have an electric fan, but only switch it on after long fast hills if the temperature goes over 90 C.
I am happy to answer any specific questions, and also to accept euros for any parts you wish me to buy, converting at near interbank rate. If you want to see the car it will be participating at Vintage Revival Montlhery next May. I have taken it to France many times, including Brittany, on the Fougeres Rally. Direct contact to lordshipvilla@hotmail.co.uk may be better than the forum.

All those details are invaluable Robert. Being in Brittany is very remote, like being on Mars re A7 matters.
I'll appreciate more photos to my email and what you would have to sell too.
Thanks.
Renaud

I googled the Lois Raeburn instruments name but got only one reference with Austin Harris in 2003 giving a phone number for him. I believe this fellow is now out of business?
Renaud

Renaud, Alan and Lois Raeburn were a husband and wife team producing and selling Austin 7 parts. Sadly Alan passed away a few years back, Lois continued to market some of the range, I believe that has now scaled back although due to my current remote location I can not be certain. If you are seeking instruments try Willie Mckenzie at Austin Repro he has a good range to suit the Ulsteroid builder

Thanks Ian. I was fearing something like that. I'm no chicken of the year either... Thanks for the tip about Austin Repro.
Renaud

Renaud - my experience has been that these sorts of things will always turn up. If you embark on an Ulsteroid project, you will have a year or two's work ahead of you and niceties like instruments, lamps etc, will come up for sale during that time.