Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Anniversary....

This is my father's entry in the log book of his first car, BME 180, a 1929 Saloon.

photo DSC_0071_zps119e5c5d.jpg

As you can see this Thursday will be the 50th anniversary of him purchasing it and in celebration he is traveling north to the secret bunker we store it in for the day. He hopes to head off in it with my mother and recreate these photos taken very early into his ownership of the car:

photo IanandJenwithBME1964_zps894b3dac.jpg

Update to follow...

Re: Anniversary....

Who is the young man with hair leaning on the car?

My mother!

Oh I do so wish that the forum had a "LIKE" button.

Ian Mc.

These atmospheric pictures really capture the spirit of Austin Seven motoring in the 60s! Happy Anniversary!
Regards,
Ashley

Ian McGowan
Oh I do so wish that the forum had a "LIKE" button.

Ian Mc.

Me too!!

R, has Ian ever actually sold a car?

Very few of his own Stuart, almost all were my mother's, she is still furious!

Great photos!

If the loch is anywhere near Inverness or Nairn tell them to call in for a cuppa.

We will Peter

Ruairidh Dunford
Very few of his own Stuart, almost all were my mother's, she is still furious!

I thought not! lol

Most of our motoring histories are littered with "if onlys", my biggest is a Mini rally car I owned briefly, which turned out to have been built by "the works" as either a practice / pace note car or possibly a customer rally car. It was two registration numbers away from one of the Montecarlo rally, team cars......... At the time it was one rot box too many!

very true Stuart

this is mine, never managed to get it, the man who did may as well have left it where it was for all he's done with it.

Father never stops going on about this, I'll let the VSCC boys work out what it is. The engine is a red herring. The body was there too, inside a shed and with photography not possible.

hi R,

hope they enjoy it.

i was up there 2 weeks ago. and out of season from the holiday makers it is very scenic. especially with the autumn leaves.

hopefully the little 7 wont bother all the new speed cameras.

were the cameras the big money making idea of alex sammond?

tony

Happy anniversary Ian. I hope you have fun celebrating it.

All the best,
Colin

Ian, I hope the anniversary is going well.
In the 60s I drove many miles round The Highlands in a 1930 fabric saloon, many happy memories. I now have a 1929 fabric and I hope it may meet your top-hat at Blair Atholl tomorrow, though the weather forecast is dire!
Just off to check out my windscreen wiper and sort out a spare to take with me.
Jim

Well they have just headed off for the day in "Beemee" with granddaughters in the back.

Mike Costigan, Ian recalls swapping with you the small (early) headlamps that are shown fitted to the car above with the correct R47s it has now. Do you remember this?

My car had the R47s when I bought it in 2008. Maybe Mike did the swap with the previous owner Mark Thompson who lives in Royston.

Ruairidh Dunford
Well they have just headed off for the day in "Beemee" with granddaughters in the back.

Mike Costigan, Ian recalls swapping with you the small (early) headlamps that are shown fitted to the car above with the correct R47s it has now. Do you remember this?

I think so, Ruairidh - vague bells are ringing in the depths of my memory! Truth is, I did an awful lot of swapping and bartering of bits and pieces; they seemed quite rare at the time, but were probably much more common than they are now!

Thank you all for your kind thoughts.
We have returned unscathed from a grand day out in the North Cairngorms.
Our technical assistat tellls me that photographic evidence will appear in due course.

Ian, happy aniversary,(we, too, are 1964) loved the original pics of you both and your RK. Looking forward to the aniversary pictures when your technical assistant gets round to it!

Bryan.

Happy Aniversary Ian, Jen and your ace RK. It must be getting on for 30 years since i followed it in my Ulster inthick snow through south Wales to one of your Brecon runs. Though Simon Blakeney-Edwards and his squeeze box were in the RK. This has prompted me to ask Mum when she got her Chummy. Scary things anniversaries! All the best, Winston

Oh, and Hedd: your dad has every right to go on and on about that one! W

Hi Ruairidh

Intrigued by the photos. Under the subject of long drives in Sevens I recently posted part of an article written for the local VAR mag. The full article was prompted by a series of photos as those of your parents. The Scottish scenery is remarkably like parts of the South Island NZ, complete with post and wire fence, although the background mountains somewhat attenuated. The following is the intro to the original article and may interest some.

I can't get no satisfaction (anymore)

Some time ago a stack of VAR magazines from the 1990s came my way, and have provided interesting reading (albeit sad, with so many personalities now passed on). I was intrigued by the assortment of 1940s/50s photos of well used early Sevens parked solitary on the overgrown edge of various narrow metal country roads in distant backblocks. The drivers obviously felt sufficiently proud of the achievement in driving there that they considered the event justified a photograph on the box Brownie. In many cases the girlfriend or wife, notably slender by current norms and thus better suited to a Seven, poses with the car. Our family album also includes several such shots, commencing 1940 (prior me).

...and there was an ending waffling on about about the relative tedium of exploring in a modern.

Bob Culver

Hedd Jones
very true Stuart

this is mine, never managed to get it, the man who did may as well have left it where it was for all he's done with it.

Father never stops going on about this, I'll let the VSCC boys work out what it is. The engine is a red herring. The body was there too, inside a shed and with photography not possible.

Bugatti?…… Brescia?……. Type 22 or 23?

Here are the photos from the 50th Anniversary Run (and the original run for comparison)...

photo 2014-11-13123136_zpsf0584b9e.jpg

photo 2014-11-13123049_zpsbd927d3d.jpg

photo IanandJenwithBME1964_zps894b3dac.jpg

photo 2014-11-13140422_zps98e7c7bf.jpg

photo 2014-11-13142045_zpscda006f0.jpg

Great pictures Mr and Mrs Dunford - thank you for shareing. Both of you, and BM, look amazing after your half century together! Congratulations and here's to the next fifty!

Bryan.

What grand old and new memories - wonderful.

Tony.

Looks like a good time being had by one and all. Mrs D hasn't changed a bit!