Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: Austin 2 Seater Sports History

Definitely no part number. Is this normal?

photo 48BC60DF-E5D9-4713-A404-DB722BA6299C_zpsde9orkkx.jpg

photo F9B2FB42-420D-4AEC-9C91-DB4CB6BD6A1F_zpsm4hmwgr8.jpg

If only Mr Sansom could help...

photo 730F880F-6F85-4527-B408-2DCF74B90482_zps9ofz9wgl.jpg

If only old log books could talk,I think they are as interesting as old photographs.

Ollie Howard
Definitely no part number. Is this normal?

photo 48BC60DF-E5D9-4713-A404-DB722BA6299C_zpsde9orkkx.jpg

photo F9B2FB42-420D-4AEC-9C91-DB4CB6BD6A1F_zpsm4hmwgr8.jpg

Unfortunately it's a Ruby steering box.

It's starting to look like a bit of a 'bitza'!

Whatever its history,best to just get out and enjoy driving it.

It definitely gets used and enjoyed!

As mentioned earlier, if you are going to the National Austin 7 Rally at Beaulieu next month, please say hello and anymore advice would be much appreciated.

Hope to be there with HX 8922,black Ulster.

Fantastic - we look forward to meeting you and hopefully others too.

Ollie.. What is the bedham address in the logbook... Partially obscured.

Also wondering, if it were Mulliner or a GE, would it actually have an Austin-system car number?

How far back does the memory system go, with the logbooks... I.e. With living people who owned! That is actually often the only verifiable information in absence of obviously stamped chassis.

Call me suspicious or what (might be my previous upbringing) but if this car was new towards the end of 1930, according to the "quote this number" .pdf on the Clubs Association website, the chassis number should be stamped to the rear of the nearside rear engine mounting and not between the front and rear engine mountings as it seems to be in the photo. I wonder if the stamped number is in fact a later addition,(hence the error)as the font doesn't seem quite right either, and is remarkably similar to that used to the replacement chassis/body plates...

It reminds me of the time when I first bought my RP, which came with an original buff log book, also claiming to be from 1930. However the engine and chassis numbers didn't match the log book. It turned out that some enterprising wag had transferred the plate off the car and had just 'obtained' a log book that carried a roughly period number. As I was going to go abroad with the car for the 50th anniversary of the D day landings in 1944 I didn't want the car seizing by an enterprising Customs Official as I came back into the UK. I contacted the DVLA office locally to get the paperwork sorted out. After inspecting the car and being satisfied as to what it was they seized the old log book, voided the number and issued the car with another age related one and proper documentatiion - it remained so until I re-registered the car in France.

I wonder if the time has come to apply the phrase: "When you find yourself at the bottom of a deep hole, it's a good idea to stop digging"

I think your car is a nice looking special, but I suspect that that's all it is, a bitsa, but I will be happy to be proved wrong. Enjoy it for what it is.

Yes Ollie, with a view to the other thread regarding the Bugatti Owners Club and the DVLA, I think it would be wise to stop digging.

I totally agree and thank you again for everyone's advice.

I felt the same as Rekkers looking at the chassis number stamping, in addition to the font, it's also surprisingly crisp compared to the wear and tear showing on the chassis itself.

Nevertheless, I think it's a smashing car and as everyone has said, it's one to be enjoyed.

As far as the logo book is concerned, as a two seater sports and painted red and black, might a boat tail be a better candidate?

Just a thought!

Hello Ollie, Whilst browsing photos on the internet I found this photo of your car at VSCC Prescott 2011.

Link to Album with lots of good photos.

photo C0A60F4A-7DDF-44E5-92A6-A64D1041A13B_zpsfacd3kln.jpg

photo 1F98B452-8F05-4328-8350-FC284BE49A90_zpshwnvqosm.jpg

Getting back to the steering box, I'd suggest the casting number should start with 9C if Ulster (forgotten the rest of the number as I'm not at home as I send this)- no doubt someone will supply if I don't later. If your number is a 1A type there's not much else to look for on your car that would be Ulster. The front axle should also have a 9C number cast into it (presume you've already looked there), but there were a few early EAs I believe that started off with 1A numbers - just to confuse us. If yours is a genuine EA front axle, it will probably have the spring leaves stamped Berry, and a different 9C number for each zinc-interleaved blade. I can't bring up the chassis-number photo, so ask - does it have a C in front of the number in the stamping? Keep trying, Good Luck. Bill in Oz

1 2