Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Failed dynamo

Peter

I have experienced similar problems to what you describe. I have overcome the fault in two ways; cleaning the commutator with meths and polishing the commutator by applying some wet and dry on the end of a stick with the engine running. I guess in my case I get a film of oil on the commutator, especially as it is very worn and too small diameter to re-cut the segments.
May be worth a try before you remove the dynamo.
Good luck.

I get a bit nervous about recommendations to polish with the engine running, as in the Nicholson book. Has to be done very carefully, avoiding surprises from the ignition leads, fan blades, etc. If anything gets caught can break brush holders. getting someone to hand crank is an option. If using anything other then cloth the brushes should be lifted otherwise become embedded with abrasive grit.
Dynamos can of course be driven off the car using an electric drill and a socket, and observing direction.

Bob Culver

Thank you all, I'll give it a clean up and see what happens. The fact that it has been coaxed back to life before makes me think its something like this.

Peter.