Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
draglink on 1933 RP box

On full R/H lock, the drag link rubs on underside of body. Can the steering arm be set lower? Currently it is horizontal. ( not sure if it is keyed) Could the problem be the front spring has "settled"
Many thanks

Re: draglink on 1933 RP box

The drop arm on the steering box should be roughly vertical when the steering is in the straight ahead position. If it isn't it's possible that the cover plate on the steering box has been removed at some time and then replaced with the arm/gear in the wrong place relative to the worm.

Reckless Rat
The drop arm on the steering box should be roughly vertical when the steering is in the straight ahead position. If it isn't it's possible that the cover plate on the steering box has been removed at some time and then replaced with the arm/gear in the wrong place relative to the worm.

Surely you rotate the steering wheel until the drop arm lines up with the drag link. It makes no difference where the drop arm is when you bolt up the cover plate. If the drag link is not bent, the front spring is likely the culprit. David Cochrane sells sports steering arms that are set lower. cheers Russell

You're right!
I apologize - it was that bowl of shyte I had for supper.

Many thanks for replies. Any thoughts on repositioning the steering arm on the stub axle ?

When you remove the steering arm from the stub axle there is a squared off flange that prevents the arm from moving up and down. I have VERY lightly touched this flange with a dob of arc weld and a file to produce a lower arm angle.
I will be shouted at for suggesting this as I realise this is a highly stressed component. In my defence it was one of David's new ones.

Ducks behind parapet. cheers Russell

Hello John,
I have re-booted my brain and been down to the garage to look at my RP. I have taken photos of the drag link at RH centre and LH locks and there's clearance everywhere. The link is pretty close to the flitch plate on full RH lock, but it doesn't touch. My steering arm is standard, as is the front spring.

Here are the photos:

Right Hand Lock:

Straight Ahead:

Full Left Hand Lock:

View from the front for reference.
My car has a semi-girling front axle but I don't think that makes any difference:

is the drag link straight, or is it bent?

Thanks for the info about the steering arm. This will save me knocking seven bells out of the arm and setting fire to my eyebrows. From your excellent photos, it looks as if the front spring is the villain. Again, many thanks.

Could it be that someone has, in the past, fitted a foreshortened drag link? Worth checking its length at this stage. The one on my RP Saloon measures 24 inches over the cap ends. Anyway, just a thought.
Ron

Again, many thanks. I have just braved the garage and checked the lenght of the drag link and it is 24" near as **** it. I have noticed however from the photos above that the steering arm looks longer than mine.Difficult to measure but mine is approx 3 1/2 inches centre to centre. Anyone fancy a trip to the cold garage? And pushing my, luck my front spring measures 29 1/4 eye to eye.