Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Automobile Magazine

Some might be surprised how many VSCC members, owning large and expensive cars have, over the last decade, purchased vintage chummys to enable them to take part in the highly regarded fun and games of the Edwardian and Light Car section.
I tend to believe that this demand has been a contributary factor in the rise in prices of A7 tourers - especially vintage models - over the same period.

Ian Mc.[/quote]

You seem to perhaps imply that it is the events/club that has made these people buy chummies. You are wrong, many had them either all along, or at the beginning of their motoring lives, and have always known them to be excellent all round cars and near constant fun.

And as for M types and Morrises, well, they may be 'better' but they are still porridge. W

What seems a lifetime ago when I lived in Woking I used to work for a garage owner called David Cobb. In his younger days he was a stock car racer and by all accounts was pretty successful with many wins to his name. He used Ford Pilots as his choice of car because that V8 could be tuned to produce a lot more power and the cars were also stronger than almost anything else.

I remember my Dad complaining that they were pretty thirsty beasts and I suppose that would also partly account for their comparative rarity today. Apparently they were often deemed beyond economic repair when the ten year test was introduced and that's when many were condemned to the scrap yard. Hence their cheap availability for stock car racing.

To my way of thinking what happened in those days was part of life then. Those days have gone.

It seems a shame to carry on decimating what few survivors there are when they do occasionally come to light especially when there are modern alternatives.

I remember the famous American hot rodder, Boyd Coddington, realising that the supply of original cars was drying up, decided that the way to go was with off the shelf glass fibre bodies. What was happening was unsustainable and towards the end of his life, he urged his followers to move away from original cars. Of course, the trouble is that 'glass is not cheap and so the destruction carries on. Many rodders will argue that they take a rusted out wreck and give it new life - and in many cases that is true but I have seen fine unrestored old cars and even fully restored ones get cut up and there seems to be no end to it.

I saw this over the weekend at a model railway show....
- My other hobby.

I would like to thank those who took an interest in my search for the VSCC trials location featuring my late Father's MG M Type midget. VSCC librarian Ian Fergusson has confirmed that it was the 1950 Bisley rally. (Apparently, trials were called rallies in those days). They have a photo of a different car taken from an almost identical spot on 26 February 1950. Unfortunately, they have no record of OU 5990, so the search goes on.

photo 001-1.jpg

It seems a great coincidence that you are searching for M Type MG UO 5990 and an M Type MG appears in the same trial with registration number UW 5990 - are you sure ? Just a thought.

Tony.

Tony Press
It seems a great coincidence that you are searching for M Type MG UO 5990 and an M Type MG appears in the same trial with registration number UW 5990 - are you sure ? Just a thought.

Tony.

Sorry, it's my fault. I meant UW 5990 the other number is simply a typo. Unfortunately, you can't go back to make corrections after a while.

This photo was in my Fathers house but he couldn't ever remember quite where and when it was taken. After he died, I took the photo out of it's frame and discovered the sides had been folded back. On the right hand side the Marshal's arm band reads VSC; I took this to mean VSCC. There was also a date of 1950 stamped on the back. The VSCC have confirmed that this picture was taken during the Bisley rally in that year so although they don't have any record of Dad's car UW 5990 it's a safe bet that the VSCC trial at Bisley is the location.

Porridge is good for you!