Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Author
Comment
What have you been up to today?

Based on a VSCC thread I found interesting,Not necessarily A7 but no rude ones!

Spent 3 1/2 hours putting up and decorating the Christmas tree.
(With the other half)

Re: What have you been up to today?

Not putting up a tree but finished cutting up and burning a 70 foot fir tree that was pushing on garage roof and cracked the garage floor under the Austin 7. (I Idid get a tree surgeon to cut down the main trunk)
Andrew

Making a new brake pedal pivot for the Nippy.

Making a 'thing' so that I can use my valve spring compressor to dismantle the starter motor pinion which disintegrated on my Morris Traveller - and it worked! I also went out in the Ruby to take the dog for a walk....
Alastair

Completed the first part of my trip to collect an A7, just a long drive home tomorrow to go!

Fired up the RP and let it run up to temperature to check that a recent core plug repair was effective, then took my MGF out for a quick spin with the roof down in the sunshine...

Then set about getting a stock of logs split for the Mem'Sahib and her penchant for blazing embers.

Trying unsuccessfully to shift a fan belt pulley!
Dave

Fought (unsuccessfully) with the Ruby rear axle casing to refit the snap rings to secure the half shaft oil seal cups. (There must be an easier way - Longbridge would have sacked me by tea break!)

Location: St Tudy 50 miles east of Sandy, 4 miles east of Alastair in N Cornwall

Keeping on the right side of the missus by getting involved with her hobby, nearly drove me daft. I shall be in the garage tomorrow.

Re plastered a bedroom wall in the morning.
Too cold outside so stayed in and watched the Snooker final on the Telly.

Helping the wife decorate. Went to have some paint mixed (non returnable) but H.I.D. wasn't happy when colour was on the wall, so spent next hour or so tinting with other paint to make her happy (very important). A little concerned about "taking the dog for a walk" in the Ruby Alastair, not tied to the bumper I hope.

At the weekend, actually, but after rolling my Ulster at VSCC Loton Park exactly twelve weeks ago and wondering, then, if I would ever get it back up and running again, this is where I've got to. Headlamps and aero screens to fit, new mudguard supports to paint (done this morning) and a last few small fittings to put back on and it's done. If only my shoulder injured during the roll would heal quite as fast.

Steve

Peter - no! I had a feeling someone would pick up on that, which is why I said 'I also went out in the Ruby to take the dog for a walk...' rather than I took the dog for a walk in the Ruby. Just to reassure everyone that no dogs or Sevens were harmed:
Nervous passenger photo Nervouspassenger_zps666bdf80.jpg

Alastair

Steve Jones
At the weekend, actually, but after rolling my Ulster at VSCC Loton Park exactly twelve weeks ago and wondering, then, if I would ever get it back up and running again, this is where I've got to. Headlamps and aero screens to fit, new mudguard supports to paint (done this morning) and a last few small fittings to put back on and it's done. If only my shoulder injured during the roll would heal quite as fast.

Steve

Very impressive work Steve.

I spent Sunday morning tidying the garage around the new occupant (another blown Ulster), changing the oil, greasing and oiling etc.
It confirmed that I don't like 6 volt electrics. The starter turns very slowly!

Charles

Glad to see you're getting there with the Ulster Steve and sorry to hear your shoulder isn't mending as fast as the car. Keep up with the physio and you'll get there!

Steve Jones

Steve

Well done, Steve.
You were despondant on the day but, knowing you , I didn't think it would be long before you got it sorted.

Sorry the shoulder isn't right yet but, you were still lucky that was your only injury.
Hope you and Ang. have a great Christmas.

Ian Mc.

Charles P

Charles,

I have cured this problem by using these excellent batteries:

Ruairidh Dunford
Charles P

Charles,

I had the same problem the other day.

I used the handle.

Clearing the garage and trying to put things into some sort of order before moving the contents to a storage unit.

I have rented a small unit from Easistore - only a couple of miles from home and they do small (Austin Seven size) lockups which can be used to keep petrol, oil and thethings that are not allowed inside the main warehouse. I asked if I could put a car in there and the youngsters in the office laughed - they couldn't believe that there was a car small enough to fit through the 4' 8½" wide door.

I think (fingers crossed) that I can get the Special, workbench, storage racks with contents, an antique dresser, two drawer units, eight wheels (two with tyres) and a LWB high chassis into one. It will be pretty tight but just possible I hope.

Just remember to keep up your payments on your storage units - otherwise we may be seeing your special on an episode of Storage Wars!

I was simular to Julian above ,as we are moving back to our old house in Dorchester (with 3 car garage/workshop )I was erecting shelving units so I can start moving the garage contents there next week.

Nigel was in Brittany
I was simular to Julian above ,as we are moving back to our old house in Dorchester (with 3 car garage/workshop )I was erecting shelving units so I can start moving the garage contents there next week.

Nigel,If you need any help get in touch.

Spent yesterday and today making patterns for special panelling

Glad to see that I am not the only one who uses C.A.D to formulate their body panel patterns.

Cardboard aided design, just in case you needed help

Hedd Jones
Ruairidh Dunford
Charles P

Charles,

I had the same problem the other day.

I used the handle.

Rather reticent to use the handle. I'm wary about disturbing the seals at the front of the dog.

And R, does the shiny battery really turn the motor faster? I thought that more volts did that.

Charles

I have fitted over a dozen now (Ben has one in Thunder), all make a marked improvement but won't be as fast as 12v, worth a try first in my book.

It's also worth checking that it isn't just a sluggish starter motor before doing anything. Do you have another you can try for comparison?

Got one in my RP and it works a treat. Spins like a good 'un.

Been welding up a stand for my 100kg anvil, a job I've been meaning to do for yonks.

Peter Clayton
Nigel was in Brittany

Nigel,If you need any help get in touch.

Many thanks Peter,but its going to be a slow move ,6 weeks in Spain will see to that , I just want to get the garage done before we go ,the household stuff will be moved in April maybe.

Ruairidh Dunford
I have fitted over a dozen now (Ben has one in Thunder), all make a marked improvement but won't be as fast as 12v, worth a try first in my book.

It's also worth checking that it isn't just a sluggish starter motor before doing anything. Do you have another you can try for comparison?

I have a whole spare car in the other half of the garage!
I'll try the starter on 12v temporarily and see what happens. If it's still slow I'll swap the starter motor over.

Charles

What have I been up to today?

Something called work!

Derek Sheldon said

Cardboard aided design, just in case you needed help

Invaluable!
It's interesting to note how many of the dimensions are handy multiples in feet and inches. I'm so used to doing everything in Metric it's a strange regressive step. I never quite recovered from the way they did the conversion of the machinery when I was at college. First year all imperial. In the summer hols. half of the machines were converted so the second year was in a mixture of units. Then the remaining machines were converted in the summer and the third year was all metric.
I left thoroughly confused!

Yesterday I was a fencer, today I am a plumber and tomorrow I will be a Marine Engineer, nothing if not diverse.

Work, the scourge of the Austineering classes!

Thank-you Martin...I was beginning to think that I was the only Austin 7 owner that had to go to work.
I plan to come to work in the 7 one day next week (130 mile round trip) - that'll give me something to look forward to.

Tea break is over now.

Have a good day everyone,
Colin

Location: Towcester (reluctantly - Derbyshire today. Although it's a lovely County)

At work dreaming about driving at the weekend!

photo 929883E0-12AC-4446-AE29-2E7323B76BF8_zpse6eriybe.jpg

Not directly concerned with the car but only the Austin 7 owner. He was in an operating theatre having HoLEP (Laser) treatment on the Willy Ward which means no driving for a couple of weeks.(Well it's your fault for asking!)

Got off diy duties today.Down to Devon to fire up 1949 Daimler Special Sports,last ran in 1980 when it seized.Left for thirty years,when I stripped it down camshaft needed to be driven out with a jack hammer!! Taken ages to find time for rebuild but it fired up instantly (once I realized I was 180 deg. out on the dizzy).Feeling rather pleased,as is the owner.Just a body rebuild to do.

Won the battle of inserting spring snap rings into rear axle halfshaft oil seal cups.It's straightforward thanks to a tip gained from Ron Hayhurst ( using a modified screwdriver to ease the rings into the grooved housings).

Next thing to do for the weekend - fitting the new crown wheel using boiling (nearly)oil!

Bob

Location: St Tudy 50 miles east of Sandy, 4 miles east of Alastair in N Cornwall

Colin
Thank-you Martin...I was beginning to think that I was the only Austin 7 owner that had to go to work.
I plan to come to work in the 7 one day next week (130 mile round trip) - that'll give me something to look forward to.

Tea break is over now.

Have a good day everyone,
Colin

Go for it, Colin!

At one time, for about six months, I used my '33 RP to commute from Hereford to Caerphilly, 75 miles each way. Even I was not sorry to find another job closer to home!

A momentous day for me, having reunited my Nippy with its original engine I today fired it up for the first time in over 40 years!

Well done Ian, great feeling that!

This mornings little project is making a period looking 5" rev counter from an old Austin 10? speedo and a cheap electronic rev counter bought off ebay. Amazingly it looks as if it will work quite well, as long as you want an 8000rpm rev counter....

Taught myself how to string wrap steering wheels. Quite pleased with the practice attempts. Need to do one for real once my fingers stop bleeding.

Stuart Palmer
This mornings little project is making a period looking 5" rev counter from an old Austin 10? speedo and a cheap electronic rev counter bought off ebay. Amazingly it looks as if it will work quite well, as long as you want an 8000rpm rev counter....

You'll just have to rev it a bit harder Stuart.

Well the rev counter conversion looks as if it will work ok, although reving the engine harder may not be an option!

So this afternoon I decided to put the radius arms back on the chassis. At which point I discovered that there are at least two ways to wrongly assemble the track rod/track rod ends and steering arms. It currently has a nice neat looking track rod assembly which limits steering to a nice safe, almost straight, ahead at all times position! Too cold to take it off again this evening.

Continued fitting up my Nippy, but I keep getting distracted by Peter Hornby's most interesting Grasshopper history which turned up yesterday, and a rather nice poster which appeared today.

I've been trying to remove a cotter that locates the clutch pedal arm on my '31 Box.
I am hoping (perhaps optimistically) to avoid having to remove the gearbox just to get at it.

I'm also hoping to get a glimpse of the meteor showers that are expected over England tonight!

Just stripped off the old set of Avon tyres on the RP ready for a wheel tidy up and a set of Longstones.

Picked up my newly painted bonnet for the Pearl,unable to fit it for a few days. SWMBO says "I can't store it in the house, mustn't upset her as I need her to help fit the bonnet to the car and push the long rods through the side panels.

Stephen

Location: Colchester - one street away from Bart the patient.

Not just today but just finished fitting all the bearings to these:

Machined from solid 4" bar with brand new stub axle pins. All designed to fit Nissan Micra taper roller bearings. :)

Austin 7 Eltos remote gear change photo P1020494.jpg
Finished off an Eltos remote to go on my Ulster,Only took about 4 years.

I've been fitting a thermostat in the top hose of the Fabric Saloon.
It's a Renault 5 in-hose unit, costs about £5 from the internet and just needs a length of larger diameter top hose. The O/D of the thermostat is the same as the O/D of the Austin hose which makes life simple.
Seems to work. More testing needed but basically a success. Was certainly working well on the long climb up onto Eildon Hills from my house.
I think the A7 with a good radiator tends to be overcooled and with the onset of winter definitely so. Might need to take it out in summer but we'll see.
If anyone wants to try this remember that the thermostat needs a couple of small holes drilling in the frame to allow some bypass and avoid air-locks. Otherwise just drops in. Also best to have anti-freeze as the radiator may well run very cold if you're out and about in hard frosts.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8