Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Exhaust Manifolds

Hi All
I had a 4 to 2 to 1 on my "Holly Birket" Ruby in the 60's.The final join to 1 was under the pasenger's feet. With a 30mm downdraft Zenith and buffer inlet manifold it was brilliant. I've still got it if anyone wants to copy it. I'm considering fitting to our Pearl.
Great to know we have a source of A7 plumbing.

Ian,
That's what I call neat!
Where the blue blazes are the welded joins?
I can't see any, nor hint of any.

Geoff - Beats my welding.

Just be thankful we only have four pipes to worry about!

I received a pipe bend in the post today from Auto Silicone Hoses Ltd with which to make a tailpipe for my 1931 RN.
It is in 32mm OD polished stainless steel with a 45 deg. bend and leg lengths of 6 inches (150mm if you prefer).
I have no connection with this company except that they offered what I wanted at a reasonable price and free post and if anyone is thinking of making a custom exhaust, they could do worse that looking at their on-line catalogue
I have fitted it over the stub pipe at the back of the silencer so as not to impede the gas flow.

Competition Fabrications at Old Buckenham did this for me:

photo 17052009692_zps8067ea8e.jpg

I am currently working on this to fit a 30MOV Solex to my Cup Model.

photo photo1_zpsd40b356f.jpg

photo photo2_zps69e7883c.jpg

photo photo3_zps3c5858a7.jpg

Nigel Hamlin Wright
Competition Fabrications at Old Buckenham did this for me:

photo 17052009692_zps8067ea8e.jpg

Hi Nigel, I have tried contacting your through your blog re you inlet manifold. Do you have any information on it you alos appear to have an extension to raise the SU above the exhaust do you have a supplier for this?

Regards

Douglas

Douglas

Looks like a downdraft manifold with 90 degree adapter fitted, both available from Tony Betts (7 County A7s)

Stuart

Reliant Robin is a possible source, Douglas.

http://www.1stcalldeano.com/images/DSCF1751.JPG

Stuart

Thanks I was just looking at Tonys website, after googleing ALR Manifolds.

Douglas

It is decades since I pondered much on the topic, but in glancing thru the Internet I note a lot of emphasis on sizing for velocity. It would seem care is necessary in adopting calcs intended for 110 % vol efficency engines to sv Sevens where the gas throughput is much less. Similarly, for road cars peak power around 3500 to 4000 is probably desirable to maintain speed on slight gradients. Whilst any separated pipe system is an advantage, short pipes for racing and designed to peak far above these revs not ideal.

And re the stock manifold, has anyone tried the blind end stub as experimented with on a Reliant in early editions of the Philip Smith book? Could be useful in winter.

Bob Culver

Hi Stuart,

Sorry to trouble you; but have you any of the Speedex style manifolds for Specials available please. I have recently purchased a Speedex chassis and wish to use a period styled exhaust similar to what would have been available from Speedex at the time.

Kindest regards,

Mark

Tel: 07834032188

Tony Betts has a genuine Speedex one for sale at the moment for £275 - see his website and scroll down the page.

http://www.7ca.co.uk/used_parts.htm

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

Jeff, I think Mark is referring to the outside exhaust type rather than the bunch of bananas one.

The type i currently make is based upon the speedex manifold, but has a modified no1 pipe to clear wheels larger than 15", unlike the original. I could however make one like the original speedex, the only real difference being the No1 pipe coming out in a constant curve rather than tucking in as mine does.

Hi Stuart,

Would it be at all possible for you to give me a quick call or email reply regarding your manifolds, I have a need to buy one from you and to put to you a pattern for another that I may want replicated.

Kindest regards,

Mark Ranger

Tel: 07834032188

I wanted to make a new system for an odd-ball Alta engine in our Morris. Not wanting to buy a million small bends to weld together, I bought a motorcycle manifold from a bike that had been written off. The pipes are, strangely, double skinned. This meant that once the outers had been cut and the ends removed it was possible to get 2 different sized tubes from each section. Adding a couple of simple Ebay 90-degree bends for the inlet I made this...

This represents probably the cheapest way to make a design for a pro to copy if you can't do your own welding to the necessary quality. If someone needs to make a one-off then this might be useful info? The time taken to make this up was about 7 days in total so the ones Stuart makes are great value!

PS If anyone has an A7 Alta head going spare then I'd be keen to get one.

Contact was made, unfortunately I was on the M5 at the time....

Rob, you are quite right the manifolds are quite time consuming to make, this has lead me to have to increase the prices slightly. The Bunch of bananas type are now £180 and the standard outside type are £200.

Rob, I have an Alta head I would be willing to sell, please email me.

rally200022@yahoo.co.uk

Stuart.