Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Anyone remember Causeway Autos in Croydon, early 1970s?

Jon
Northwoods, also had a branch in the High St West Wickham (Kent)

Jon

You've jogged my memory! It was indeed the West Wickham branch that I was thinking of. I thought Croydon didn't sound quite right, but assumed 40 years on it was my befuddled brain. So I can't claim to have any recollection of the Croydon shop after all!

Best regards and Happy New Year to all

Dave P

In the light of your research and re-reading the line in the catalogue, it seems likely the quote 'since 1924' refers to the sale of Austin 7 spares only, and the business was in existence earlier. cheers Russell

Dear Kake - I really believe the friends web site has pulled bunny out of the bag in this research - The management would like to thank every one that has contributed in such a positive way.
Sometimes, sadly, people don't channel all their efforts in such a positive and coherent way that we would wish, this is a demonstration of what can be achieved when they do.
Please could we have a final copy of your research to add to the site archives?.
Again well done everyone - The management

The Management
Dear Kake - I really believe the friends web site has pulled bunny out of the bag in this research - The management would like to thank every one that has contributed in such a positive way. [...] Please could we have a final copy of your research to add to the site archives?.

Yes, indeed, thank you all so much! I will let you know once the article's been published, and will be happy for you to copy the relevant parts for your archives.

Kake many thanks - This will become a feature in the archives of the site.
A photo of you would be good as well so we can dedicate the story to you.
This is actually what we created the web site for!!.
Brilliant

photo Causeway_zps84299cdd.jpg

photo Northwood_zps4371bf0b.jpg

To round off this thread, here are a couple of invoices from my files. The West Wickham shop was run as Northwoods and the Croydon shop as Causeway Autos - I've no idea why this was, but I think neither of these branches carried any Austin Seven stock. The London Road invoice was almost certainly in fact written out in the Newington Causeway shop. I can remember sitting with Harry Northwood in the back office of the West Wickham branch, but have no recollection at all of the Croydon Branch. From the early 1970's-on,their Austin Seven spares service was being quietly run down and by the end of the Seventies I had cleared all the remaining stock, although I continued to deal with Northwoods into the 1980's. I now think the occasion they borrowed my A7 van for a promotion must have been in the Eighties for their 60th Anniversary.

My article referencing Causeway Autos has now been published: the history of 65 London Road. Thanks again to everyone who helped with my research!

As previously mentioned, I'm happy for The Management to put a copy of the relevant parts of this article (or even the whole thing) in the site archives — just make sure it's credited to me, and please also include the link above, as I sometimes amend or add to articles after publication, e.g. if I come across new evidence or images.

Kake