Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Boulogne Replicas

Hello Jeff,
Thank you For checking those I have had no joy with searching DVLA.
I am only getting one result for OK7095 on the latest chassis register, rather than 2, what am I doing wrong? If I could just find out who built/owns each that would be all I need to name my photos a bit more effectively.

Hi Timothy,

Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to the February 2014 Chassis Register that I'd downloaded at the time, I wasn't aware until checking just now that a new update had been released on 1st October 2014, my apologies for that.

Certainly in the February 2014 register, two different vehicles were listed for OK 7095 - a 1923 Works Racer Replica and a 1924 AB Tourer - different chassis and engine numbers. In the October 1st edition 'By Registration Number Order' the entry for OK 7095 and the entry immediately above it for OK 6995 have been almost obliterated by an overprinted opaque blue band - so presumably this anomaly has been addressed by the A7CA Registrar in the intervening seven months.

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

Hello Jeff,
No problem I did manage to find trace of the 1924 AB tourer in the latest register using excels find feature for 7095 which brings up that it had previously been on with OK7095 but it had been proved that OK7095 was on the works replica chassis 187. Interestingly the chassis number and body number of the AB tourer are the same as the engine number of the works replica all being 3096. However I think it's probably best not to question the whys and wherefores of this as it is not really relevant to naming my photographs and I don't want to cause any trouble.
All the best
Timothy

I believe that the factory used the same registration plates on several vehicles as can be seen in some of the publicity shots and also illustrated in several period photographs. With regards to the works rep and tourer perhaps the owner of these cars was simply trying to recreate this.

Or perhaps another sad case of the unfortunate problem I had hoped only applied to very expensive vintage cars.
Shows what the attraction of even a few pounds (dollars) will do

Tony.

Yes I had noticed that the registrations got moved around a lot in the early years. I think the numbers on these cars is probably a subject that is best left to those who have more information or owners of the cars. I certainly don't want to cause any unrest, especially with the owners of these cars which I admire so much. I would certainly like to apologise if I have inadvertently brought up a sore subject for anyone. I really only want to know who built the different replicas so I can name the photographs I have of these.

Have just seen a car the same as the one in the top photo outside my mum's neighbour's house in Bedfordshire.
It was making lots of noise, sounded like a lawn-mower engine.
I googled because I was fascinated.
It has the Number 10 on the side and the OK 7095
The bit around the radiator was white.
So is it an old car or replica?
I can post a photo I took on my phone if it's of any interest to anybody.

"OK 7095" no longer exists on the DVLA database, as far as I know. It could be a replica on a genuine 7 chassis, but who knows. Difficult to tell without seeing it. On a side note, an Austin 7 running properly wouldn't sound like a lawnmower-Too many cylinders!

It is on the DVLA database - just enter the make as Austin Seven ( not just Austin) & the reg. number for full details. Trust this helps. Geoff

OK 7095 at Curborough Austin 7 Track Day last weekend (19/03/16)...

It is great to see my old Brooklands car has arrived back in the UK after so many years in Europe. I gave the car a pat at the weekend at Beaulieu Austin 7 Rally and wished its new owner all the best with his endevours.

The engine does still make quite a row when at full throttle! But my lawn mower never sounded like that.....!

Cheers,

Tony Hutchings

Re the Warwick Rally photos, Norman Purves restored both the 1922 Chummy and built the Racer. He said he put the OK 7095 number on the racer 'cause it suited the car, being unaware that it was actually in use elsewhere.

Thank you for the clarification Robin, I had come to that conclusion, without expressly being told as much, so it is nice to get a positive confirmation. As far as my information shows though Norman Purves A type tourer is 1923 not 1922 registered in March that year? I'd love to find out it was a '22 produced car but as far as the I know the third prototype #XL3 Reg OK3537 is the only known survivor produced in 1922.