Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Shim washers for kingpins

Please does anyone know of a current source of shim washers to take up any vertical clearance between the front hub and the axle. I searched the archives and found that Sandy had some made 5 years ago. If you still have any available Sandy, I'd be happy to buy some and pay the postage.
Thanks Alan

Re: Shim washers for kingpins

Alan, I bought some years ago from Express fasteners I think in Plymouth I think? Initially all I could find were 12mm I/d but eventually I got some 1/2 inch ones thar were 4 thou thickness.
Try your local industrial supplier or these days the internet should be your friend.
Failing that if you can get a magnetic table just grind down some washers.
Steve.

Some 12 or 13mm I/D shim washers available here, but minimum charge is £15 plus carriage, packing and VAT also minimum order quantity of each of the five thickness of 13mm I/D is between 50 and 30 washers:

http://www.springmasters.com/sp/shims-support-washers.html

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

Hi you could try SIMPLY BEARINGS as they sell a needle roller bearing ,1/2" internal dia and under 4 thou.
Not sure if any good but were mentioned in a previous thread.

Stephen.

Needle rollers are a good idea, but if you aren't doing that, the correct place to put shims is under the top hat bush so that the shim isn't in the moving part of the joint.

David Cochrane usually stocks them and I would expect that the Seven Workshop would also.

Please see BL906 here.

David

Thanks David. Sound just the job. Alan

Nice post and very useful information!Thank you for sharing.
Wire Forms springs.

I suggest you contact Avon Stainless Fasteners. They do various sizes and thicknesses for a reasonable price.
Had good service from them.

Paul N-M

Vertical play is of little consequence although some govt tests require little. The grease may tend to hammer the plugs out on Girling hubs, and possibly move the kp on all. Clearance can be taken up above the axle with washers/shims of almost any material.