Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: VSCC New Years day meet

Sorry to Hijack the thread

Here's part of the Western seven turnout at Much Marcle, Herefordshire

photo A7_MuchMarcle_NewYearsday152_zpse8c18458.jpg

photo A7_MuchMarcle_NewYearsday15_zpsc010c400.jpg

David

Looked like a really good turn out, I love the grey/blue ruby.

Leon Spriddell
Rob

Not very good really, very dirty jacket and face. Im not really sure where all the water came from, the day before by lunch time the roads were dry. It was good fun though.

It will be interesting to see how much difference it makes fitting the front mudguards.

Well it would make your car comply with the law if nothing else.

Construction and Use regulations require wings to be fitted and actually complying with the law is a small price to pay for no Road tax and no MOT

Charles

I am failing to see connection between exemption from road tax, MOT’s and compliance with law on mudguard. As mudguard is not on MOT tick-sheet, there can surely be no basis for moral or otherwise judgements?
But, driving without mudguard is illegal and with this I am not arguing.
However, there is undoubtingly elements of reasonable and allowable flexibilities in observance of law being exercised by police and unguarded scofflaw.
If vehicle looks like heap of scrap it attracts attention of long arm. If car is looking ‘all of a piece’ then it will pass unnoticed.
You see, from my researching I discover that driving car in unguarded state is not prosecutable offence but, if stopped for this delinquency (and you are being less than charming to officer involved) prohibition notice is probably served with penalty currently standing at £30* up your shirt.
So I am saying most politely that while Mr Charles P is being perfectly righteous to direct our attentions to law, likelihood of being stopped is very definitely remote and still more definitely being remote if we are remaining tidy and behave ourselves.
Holier-than-thou ancient people might make harrumph but, that is what they are doing always.
*Endorsable Offence Code: RC86070
Thank you.

Babu
I am failing to see connection between exemption from road tax, MOT’s and compliance with law on mudguard. As mudguard is not on MOT tick-sheet, there can surely be no basis for moral or otherwise judgements?
But, driving without mudguard is illegal and with this I am not arguing.
However, there is undoubtingly elements of reasonable and allowable flexibilities in observance of law being exercised by police and unguarded scofflaw.
If vehicle looks like heap of scrap it attracts attention of long arm. If car is looking ‘all of a piece’ then it will pass unnoticed.
You see, from my researching I discover that driving car in unguarded state is not prosecutable offence but, if stopped for this delinquency (and you are being less than charming to officer involved) prohibition notice is probably served with penalty currently standing at £30* up your shirt.
So I am saying most politely that while Mr Charles P is being perfectly righteous to direct our attentions to law, likelihood of being stopped is very definitely remote and still more definitely being remote if we are remaining tidy and behave ourselves.
Holier-than-thou ancient people might make harrumph but, that is what they are doing always.
*Endorsable Offence Code: RC86070
Thank you.

That's a viewpoint.

I take the view that if we want to retain the right to drive ancient vehicles on modern roads (not everyone thinks that way) and we additionally luxuriate in the privileges of free tax and not MOT then we should be seen to comply with the laws.

Rights are associated with responsibilities.

Charles

I would be more worried about the tongue lashing from the lady wife if she got splattered with mud!

Leon Spriddell
Rob

Not very good really, very dirty jacket and face. Im not really sure where all the water came from, the day before by lunch time the roads were dry. It was good fun though.

It will be interesting to see how much difference it makes fitting the front mudguards.

As an owner of a car with guards I find my face and screen stay clean, but the sides of the car, leading edge of my rear guards and my extended elbow get wet/grubby. On a run the cars with full running boards finish looking relatively pristine, whereas I finish as a bit of a mucky pup :) My front arches are fixed, and have a fill in to the body similar to a Nippy, arches attached to the wheel no doubt have differing merits.

Andy

Suffolk meet looks good but the Norfolk meet looks like a back garden.
Shame on you Norfolk boys, too busy watching from the moral high ground?