Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Austin 7 sports

Hi,..need help locating photographs of a Austin 7 sports. Believe to be 1922? It has headlights that are attached to the grille surround and not the cowl, and it has a boat tail rear. Are there any books or magazines that someone could point me towards or know of a site that has photo's. A google search just brings up one car which is light blue and black wings/guards. Is there anything else out there.
many thanks for any help.
Geoff

Re: Austin 7 sports

Are you talking about this model (50mph/Standard Sports) Geoff?

Hi,...yes, that's the one.Headlights are on the grille though. Many thanks

Are you thinking of this one, Geoff?

Barry Clark built up a replica of this one, although I didn't think the body shape looked very accurate; it was for sale last year for a large pot of money! The headlamps are mounted on the front wings, though, not the radiator shell:

[/img]

Hello Geoff,
Here are some links to some albums on Clive Barkers Flickr. Which have been painstakingly categorised into years. I have included up to 1924 but he has all years on there.

Unfortunately not really any instances of headlamps mounted to the radiator surround (we generally call this the cowl, the more common place for early headlamps is scuttle). Austins didn't really bring the headlamps forward until I think briefly in 1927 and finally in 1928 (mounted on brackets from the cowl or the wings. Gordon England was know to mount the headlamps directly to the cowl, Ealiest probably the brooklands model in 1924. The brooklands model however looks very different to the above suggestions as does the later Cup model, which has the headlamps mounted similarly.
Do you have a picture of the car you are interested in, or any more details like a registration number?

Hello Mike
Thanks for the reply. Looks similar. The previous post is more like the one I am looking for.
many thanks
Geoff

Geoff,

what details are you looking for?

Hi Timothy. Thanks for taking the time to put all the links up. 1924 is the closest to what I am looking for, the turquoise and black car. This is the one I found when doing a google search, but unfortunately limited to a few photos. Your links have given me a few more that a more helpful.But, if there are any more about, then I would be grateful to see them. It is for a painting commission
Again, many thanks
Geoff

Hi Ruairidh
I have found out it is more likely 1924 and is similar to the blue and black car found on the links posted by Timothy. All I really would like is as many photographs of that type of car as possible. It is for a commissioned painting and I need to have as many angles as possible.
It amazes me as to how many variations there seem to on these little cars.
many thanks
Geoff

I understand.

Nick Turley has a rather nice example of this model and is an accomplished photographer. I feel certain he will be able to offer you very useful help.

That would be a GREAT help
many thanks

Hi Geoff

You would not happen to be Geoff Thornley ex Levin, NZ, artist?

Robert Culver

Hi Bob,...I am not from Levin. I was born in Napier, lived in Wellington until late eighties, then moved to UK. I know there is another artist same name, but what he paints I am not sure.
Cheers
Geoff

Thanks Geoff.

I was close. Was at school with.

Google produces much but I am not clear what is his and what yours! Someone has an eye for cars!

Bob Culver

Hi Geoff once more

Is the "Images for Geoff Thornley" Google response a mix of the works of both Geoffs?
I presume the cars are yours? But what about the abstract geometric forms?

I suppose a quandary when depicting Sevens is the relative size of the driver!

Bob Culver

Hi Bob,..I've never googled myself before!. Yep, the cars are mine, but not the abstracts. I used to do a lot of cars of all sorts, but now I mainly do American cars, but everynow and then I do a commission, which the Austin is. Yes, scale is the problem. Love to get a photo of someone actually in the car, well it looks more like they would sit ON it rather than in it.
Geoff
www.motor-art.org