Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Nickel trim strips...

Would that be for your roses or the tomatoes? Just too trusting R!

I believe nickel or material covered half round strips were used in vintage car upholstery. These were hollow half round brass flooded with lead to hold nails in place. The strip was then bent and tacked in place.

Your belief is correct, do you know if anyone stocks this please?

Ruairidh Dunford
I am looking for some half-round nickel plated trim lengths about 1/4" 3/8" wide. Does anyone know where I might get such a thing?

the profile I am looking for would be similar to this:

I think this is what you need. It's called pin beading. A 3 sided version was used on the late 20's Coupe and 2 seat tourers.

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-115-pin-beading.aspx

I know someone who obtained some recently I will enquire. Years ago I recall visiting a guy who made it commercially but sadly he is long gone. Just a thought try David Nightingale

Henry, that is it exactly what I am looking for, thank you very much for sharing.

Simon, thank you for suggesting David, it will be good to have an excuse to catch up with him.

is one tidying up another , larger Austin car ?

Re-trimming the old girl!

Just a wee update on this thread and to thank Henry especially for his trim strip suggestion - I am very happy with the new trim in My Austin Twelve, it had blue plastic for the last 35 years.

photo DSC_0290_zpscwjnulnj.jpg

photo DSC_0291_zpsjj0jwaxa.jpg

photo DSC_0292_zpsbup3rbbg.jpg

The car should have dark blue leather trim but I was offered the black leather at a very good price so went twitch that.

In the last picture you can see the rear carpet is blue and tatty so I am going to replace this with new black carpet and edging. The front carpet (shown in the first picture) was made by David Nightingale many years ago, it is very well made and I want to keep it but was thinking that I may be able to dye the main part black - has anyone done this successfully? Part of me thinks, "just leave it", do products like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-LTR-BLACK-CARPET-DYE-FOR-RENOVATING-TIRED-LOOKING-CAR-CARPETS-/311105192802?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item486f508362 this really work?. This car is in daily use so apologies if it looks unkempt.

Great job, particularly if you tackled the half diamond pleating yourself!
Is the box on the rear of the front seat a stowage for sidecurtains?
On the subject of carpets, when I started in the trimming game and worked for 'cheap' car yards, worn threadbare black carpets were regularly sprayed with aerosol paint. Instant plush pile in a can we said. cheers Russell

Thanks Russell, I wish I could say the pleat work was my own but I can't :(

the box is for the side screens - originally stowed behind the rear seat this car is not very original however and the space is just not there so the box suffices.

Hi Ruairidh
Can't help with the carpets but the seats are first class (one Clifton to another). Is the rear of the back seat filled with child restraints? how did you anchor them ?.
Judging by the front seat position you must be 6'6", I'm 5'10" andf I cant see the seat mount