Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
AJS/Austin Seven Engined Motorbike...

My friend Roy Warburton writes:

the bike was built by bob collier west midlands he built many race bikes a lot for sammy miller you may share this, the 2 heads were built of bullet alloy and the austin 7 block had fins around which were set screwed on wilt BA bolts to air cool it the flywheel was only half size so would rev really fast it had a norton gearbox frame AJS /MATCHLAS silver hawk,

photo AJSunrestored_zpsf3c489f0.jpg

its fully restored and in running order if anyone wants to see it ....it at Sammy Millers motorcycle museum trust at New Milton nr Christchurch Bournmouth

photo ajscomplete_zps9bd21858.jpg

Re: AJS/Austin Seven Engined Motorbike...

That's great R. It never ceases to amaze me, the lengths people will go to just to be different and because they can.
Regards Ian.

nice one R,

stunning.

i take it the engine is started on a chain to the flywheel, as there is a kick start on the transmission box.

i`ve always wondered about an air cooled austin 7 engine.

it would get rid of the rad and surround making the car much more aerodynamic.

tony

A lot of 1950s bike magazines were passed to me by a cousin eons ago. Photos of Seven powered specials were quite common. Recently republished prints of bike road tests which I have omit the bhp. it would be interesting to hear from anyone how these bikes compared at normal rpm and everyday road speeds of the time. 13 bhp would likely surprise a modern 750 (or 250) bikie.

Bob Culver

Went to the Sammy Miller motor cycle museum yesterday,Could have spent much longer than the 2 hours I had to look round.Wonderful innovative and pure exotic bikes there including a 3 cylinder and 5 cylinder radials.
Two of Bob Colliers Austin seven engine bikes there too,sorry no pictures but really neat installations.

Poked my head in the workshop door,I'm sure it was Sammy Miller still working on bike restorations,(Now 82)

For anyone interested in unusual bikes google Allen Millyard,Look at the "Flying Millyard",a 5 litre Vee twin using a pair of Pratt and Whitney wasp cylinders

I too recently visited Sammy Millers museum. I was pleased to see the sectioned view of an A7 engine also a motorcycle with an A7 engine fitted.
There were also lots of other interesting motor cycles on display.
If you click the photo below it will take you to my photos I took.

photo A6FEE050-9ABE-42B7-ACB2-724159E4027E_zpsnzhgdlgd.jpg

Roger

How many ways can manifolds be adapted?

Ruairidh Dunford
My friend Roy Warburton writes:

the bike was built by bob collier west midlands he built many race bikes a lot for sammy miller you may share this, the 2 heads were built of bullet alloy and the austin 7 block had fins around which were set screwed on wilt BA bolts to air cool it the flywheel was only half size so would rev really fast it had a norton gearbox frame AJS /MATCHLAS silver hawk,

What is "bullet alloy" please Ruairidh? I understand it's ali but which kind?
I reckon it took b...cks to use those air cooled heads!
Also I don't understand how the heat moves from the sleeves to the fins on the block without any water?
Sorry for the silly questions!
And, yes, I do love it!

I think what he meant to say was billet,as from a solid lump of alum.Billet seems to be more of an American term.

I will pass your questions on to Roy Renaud but I think Austin in the Shed has answered your query.

Ruairidh Dunford
I will pass your questions on to Roy Renaud but I think Austin in the Shed has answered your query.

Thanks to both. Yes "billet ali" I understand!
What about heat transfer through empty of water cavities?

Quite a lot of hot air I should imagine Renaud.

I can't believe that Ruairidh! Would'nt the engine seize? I believe they would be filled with a heat conductive unable to boil fluid? Oil?
Sorry this is titillating my poor brain!