Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mystery Seven...

The house in the background is Shakespeare's Birthplace, Stratford-upon-Avon.

P.S. This is the first time that I have posted on the forum, although I have been a reader for a long time.I don't own an Austin 7 or any other classic vehicle but I hope to buy an A7 one day.

Simon,

Duple certainly made a dual purpose open tourer / de-mountable van conversion for the 1930 Morris Minor chassis - so it's possible they may have offered one for the Seven. It's not known how many were actually produced for the Minor chassis, but one does survive in Dorset and frequently takes part in VSCC events apparently.

At that time Duple Bodies and Motors Ltd were based on Edgware Road, The Hyde, Hendon NW9.

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

I think it's a Jarvis bodied Seven, although I've no hard facts to support me...

The Austin Duple that exists was the first Austin body made by John Heath when he still worked at Duples.

The tail certainly has the look of Jarvis about it.

Austin Carr
The house in the background is Shakespeare's Birthplace, Stratford-upon-Avon.

Ah, that's interesting! My mum comes from Stratford and also says she was christened in the church Shakespeare was buried in. I always ask her which happened first...

I find it hard to look at that photo. The composition is terrible!

And I forgot to include this copy of the same picture on PreWarCar: http://www.prewarcar.com/prewar-my-prewarcar/show-a-pre-war-mystery/burghley-bodied-austin-seven-1924-26-017890.html

The caption there says Burghley.

Duple:

I think this Taylor shares very similar features to the mystery car (front wing and running board profile, door shape, long scuttle, headlamps mounted up front and although it has a different tail the spare wheel is mounted outside and above):

Mystery car for easier comparison:

When Simon's completed his house move I shall be interested to see whether it is a Duple model. To date though I still don't think it is any of the coachbuilders suggested. I stand by my original posting.

I'm going to put my head on the block here , I have been looking at this photo too much and now would like to change my mind and now say New Avon . Whilst working at Gaydon many years ago we had a new Avon bodied 7 on display , I did some research , and something has clicked in the grey matter to make me think it is one ?

There was a New Avon at Beaulieu in the later 60s.

There is a new Avon pictured on p124 of Purves.

Spare wheel is mounted on/under the rear and doors are suicide, front wing and running board are similar in profile to "mystery car".

I'm fairly sure it had twin 22FZBs as well come to think of it.

The New Avon at Beaulieu in the 60's was owned by Graham True. It was a nice original car.

New Avon Semi-Sports:

Perhaps not this one , but I think they made another sporty body and a coupe ? The bit that hangs in my memory is the sporty look and angle of the rear of the front wing and the gap between the body and the running board which I can't remember seeing on another body ??

New Avon coupe:

Avon Sportsman:

All the Avon's pictured above have suicide doors unlike the "Mystery Car"...