Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 885cc/hello

The strange thing is, the first Mini was 848 cc. I haven't heard of any BMC A series engine of 885 cc. It would seem that even the DVLA's error was in error - unless someone knows different ?
I remember reading somewhere that the prototype Mini had a 948cc engine, but it was found rather too fast for the intended market so they reduced the stroke by 5/16 inch.

The proposed 948cc engine for the Mini Seven would have been lifted straight from the A35, a considerably heavier car. Things were later turned on their head when the last series of A35 vans were fitted with the 848cc Mini engine, resulting in famously gutless vehicle.

885cc seems to be a particular favourite on Ebay, usually on cars for sale by the sort of people who have stripped the vehicle of its original registration and can't be arsed to find out what it is that they're selling!

Sorry, I think I feel a rant coming on!

Hi Jon

When I first taxed the Fabric Saloon, I asked the DVLA at the Northampton office to change the engine capacity. They sent an enquiry to look for the original registration details, but as they were long since destroyed, were unable to change the V5.

It hasn't caused me any problems.

Peter

My Ruby's old brown log book says the 'rating' is 7.8, which of course was the old horsepower rating, but when the new-style registration documents were introduced this became '78cc' and I eventually gave up trying to persuade the DVLA to change it. Back in the days when we paid for car tax - sorry, road fund licences - I did suggest they might like to give me a discount but they ignored that as well...

Alastair

There have been many changes it seems recently at the DVLA. It looks like departments have been merged and those that had knowledge of old vehicles have gone. Additionally they don't like dealing with individuals now and only want queries to come through the relevant old car club representative. If it bothers you that the engine size is wrong then try going through your local A7 Club DVLA rep otherwise I would suggest leave well alone.

I changed the engine cc and the taxation class from "Not Licensed" to "Historic Vehicle" by using the "Changes to current vehicle" section on the V5.

The new V5C came a few days later with a receipt for £0.00 to say the car was now taxed.

Yes will agree that doing that is fine. I changed details like that for my A7 van that way recently but changing other details like engine sizes and especially trying to reclaim old registration numbers or get age related numbers has become a nightmare for some owners. Suspect it depends on whose desk the enquiry lands on.