Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Clutch Pedal & Shaft

Jon the article which started on 19 September 2013 didn't offer any suggestions re clutch adjustment, it was simply about taper pins. Putting "Taper Pins" into the search box at the top of this forum page will bring up the thread started by Dereck Sheldon.
Yesterday I had an email from Terry Griffin - well known to participants in the Bert Hadley Trophy - to let me know that replacing the taper pins with 6mm roll pins was a well proved alternative. Hearing it from Terry I would now happily agree with this method and need to put the record straight as part of this thread. When drilling out to 6mm carefully keep shaft and lever in line.
Terry has already made direct contact with Tony, complete with picture!
Ron

I would advise that you use the correct taper pins. I am sure that roll pins are not suitable.

Strongly suggest you go for cleaning up the existing taper holes and fit new pins. If you Google Tracy Tools you will perhaps be surprised how little trouble (cost) it will be to get the reamer and pins. See other comments on the Forum in Sept 2013.
A tip is to mount the shaft in an engineer's vise with the lever arm snug against the shoulder of the vise jaws. When reaming there is a tendency for the reamer to drag the arm sidewaysb. This will hold it in line.
It is also worth saying again that my experience is that you cannot mix and match lever arms and shaft. It appears that these items were initially assembled individually rather than being standardised with a jig. Always try to keep the three items together.
Ron

Ron - Can you remember the exact thread subject in Sept 2013? I'd like to read that (or an acknowledged good summary for clutch adjustment) but can't identify which one in that period, having looked...

Apparently my new car selects all gears but the pedal has to be pushed right to the floor.