Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
1 2
Author
Comment
VSCC stalls prescot & you

i know this may not be of interest to many, although i have seen most of you who race join in on the forum.

this morning i received the TRADE STANDS AT VSCC EVENTS 2015 list.

the front page states there are some price rises to trade stands, (kept to a minimum) according to them.

oulton park was £45 now £180. the last time i stood this event i sold £485 worth of stock (not profit).

mallory park was £75 now £108. the last time i stood this event i sold £370 worth of stock. (not profit).

prescot so called flag ship event. was £175 now £270. the last three years we have averaged sales at £1,600 worth of sales. (not profit).

prscot has also been affected by richard edmonds auction on the friday evening.

these prices are per pitch.

listing this on the forum is to let you who race at these events, know that i can NO LONGER afford to support you there, by having the austin 7 spares on hand.

as for the VSCC, i am not extending my membership this year. maybe the penny will drop as the member numbers drop.

tony

Re: VSCC stalls prescot & you

Well said Tony.

In a similar vein, one of my local shows the Ardingly vintage vehicle and steam show has been cancelled after they had falling revenues and couldn't afford to pay the increased costs. They tried to keep going by making big jumps to stall-holders fees and surprise surprise the stall holders numbers dropped.

Perhaps they should have reduced the fees and advertised stall space more?

Tony,
I am not surprised that you are stopping trading with those price hikes. It is a real shame as you say you support the competitors in their hour of need (and not only Austins).
It will also push out the smaller traders who may decide to have a stall. It makes Beauleiu look cheap, but at least their you are likely to do more trade.

You could attend the event wearing a rather large, clanking coat, and just loiter in a dark corner waiting for someone to come up and say "can you fix me up with a set of 4 AB-7s?"

Sorry to make light of it, I wonder how much of the price is dictated by the VSCC and how much is for the Bugatti Owners Club.

Surely they realise that the stands are part of the show? It's certainly part of my decision on where to spend my time and money.

Andy

VSCC Prescott is the primary 'money cow' of their year, so presumably they just want to milk it some more.

last year the VSCC had someone new take over the so called looking after the stall holders.

dont get me wrong, he came across as a very nice person. a i had a good chat with him.

he even phone me up after the event, and disgust stalls with me.

i explained that all shows were in decline.

and with prescot, 20 years ago. you couldn`t beg borrow or steel a place there.

were as last year, i wasn`t sure about standing. and books my place two weeks before. there was one other stall holder near me in the paddock who booked latter than that.

so places were lucky to get filled last year.

the stall holders do talk at and about events, and i didn`t here anyone say they had a good event.

this was all explained to the new organiser, and the result is that they put the price up.

it will be interesting to see if other stall holders take the same decision as myself. or wheather they feel if you dont turn out you wont know what you might of missed.

for me i might as well put £1,600 worth of parts on EBAY during prescot week and pay there fees at 15%, which = £240 and then i dont have the derv fees, or have to sleep in the back of a vivaro van for 3 nights.

tony

Odd decision. Stalls are part of the event in my book and part of the member service at an event.

VSCC Prescott is primarily a really good event and great weekend at among the my friends. That is what clubs deliver to members. Some make money, some lose money. The VSCC hill climbs at Wiscombe and Loton are just as important in my calendar.

Charles

I think its to pay the new man at the VSCC's salary of £80,000

Maybe accountants have taken over at VSCC .
Like so many aspects of this country now , make money this year , and move on before next time .

Merv ( rant over , back in the padded room )

Doesn`t have to be Presott or a VSCC meeting for prices to go up.....
This years London to Brighton are charging £40 per stall out in the open previously it was £25 under cover ??

thats interesting to know jon,

i hadn`t made my mind up if i was doing brighton or not.

a long way from leicester to brighton, and the last one wasn`t that good.

i thought about loading the estate car and doing a short stall.

but if its out in the open, instead of under the arches i wont bother.

i`ll give howard a call next week.

maybe now we can see why so much austin 7 spares end up on ebay.

tony

Tony,

Have sales of new and old spares declined over the years or is it just attendance at shows and events has declined causing a fall in sales?

Logic would seem to suggest that cars are rebuilt and reconditioned faster than they are wearing out. Some people do use their Austin Sevens a lot and rack up large mileages but the majority dont. Gradually cars should be getting mechanically more sound and the need for new spares will diminish.

Its just you seem to be painting a picture that supports this view.

hi s james, thats a hard one to answer.

if we just stick to sales and events.

then yes attendance has dropped at all events.

as have overall sales, now your logic is coming into effect.

attitudes have changed as prices have "had" to rise on parts.

tony

so start driving more, everyone, and then as we'll need more parts, more quickly, the prices will go down

Had an idea. Rent the field next door and charge £10 per pitch for the day.

We at the Pre War Austin 7 Club are very aware of the increasing costs for stallholders to attend many events.
To this end, at our main event - Autokarna at Wollaton Park Nottingham(May 31st)
we have, for several years, held our price at £20 per plot.
This has resulted in a very healthy number of stalls with the majority of the major A7 Traders attending. Over 100 plots are let each year, all selling transport related items.

Graham

Always ready to have a 'go' at that event aren't you Jon, for your own personal yet widely known reasons?

Just come back from MG and Triumph spares day at Stoneleigh which was busier than I have seen it over the last few years. No idea why!
(Not much help really.)
Dave.

hi dave glad you had a good day at stoneleigh.

A7OC member, i`ve got to say its unfear to have a go at jon.

i have just double checked the entry form for brighton stall holders. it does say the colonnades are closed for safty reasons.

it also says there are over 300 car entries. i take it this covers all austin models. which means there may be around 200 austin 7s.

not a patch on the event jon organised with if i remember correctly over 450 austin 7s entered. and all trade had a good day.

that could explain why the last one was not so good for traders.

tony

Thanks Tony, for your words of support,
This Trogladite has obviously just crawled out from under a stone,or a retired or current member from the A70C. Spitfull aren`t they (unknowns)
Howard Annett (Chair A70C) and I were discussing the rally over a pint
and he told me about the situation, my words to him were "drop the price" he will discuss it with the commity this comeing Wednesday (watch this space)

I`ve no axe to grind, I still have a stall at Beaulieu May and September like all the cherish supplyers

OK Jon.

I wonder if Tony knows what went on over your 'organising' the Brighton run way back? Maybe he is one of the very few who does not?

If you decide to demonise me again I may well post up or send him direct the details of what happened with you and the A7OC AFTER that event and at the subsequent AGM. Then he will know.

I am an elephant and forget absolutely nothing. Not the smallest detail.

A current A7OC Member.

I've no idea who Jon is, or even less "A7OC member", or what the alleged issue is.

Public mudslinging from behind an anonymous cover is a nasty, cowardly way of going about things and isn't what this forum is about.

Martin Prior

I've no idea who Jon is, or even less "A7OC member", or what the alleged issue is.

Public mudslinging from behind an anonymous cover is a nasty, cowardly way of going about things and isn't what this forum is about.

I'm with you on this Martin 😧

My thoughts exactly - thank you Martin.

Tony.

well sed martin ian and tony.

as you can tell i`m also with you on this one.

i have just had another stall holder who stands near me at prescot call this morning, who is in the same position as myself lower takings but goes to support.

he is in the same mind if prices are not reduced then he wont be attending.

this trader also attends VSCC silverstone, and this matter has prompted the fact that silverstone is the same as prescot, although the price has not gone up at silverstone, he is only breaking even at the moment, but goes to support those who race.

tony

Those price rises re extreme aren't they Tony?

Just looking at what you have been selling, together with transport costs, plus sustenance, because it'll need a fair few pies to keep you going! I would imagine that you have been lucky to break even.

If you were selling Bugatti parts, perhaps it would make financial sense, but you know what Austin Seven blokes are like when it comes to spending money, I think you've made the right decision!

hi ivor,

good to see you joining in.

the thruth is, there are not many profitable events left.

september beaulieu is the best, but you have to take 2/3rds stock of non austin 7 parts to aim at other traders cheap (very small profits). to make it a good show.

750 beaulieu is usually well worth doing.

spring beaulieu is dying off quickly, another 3 years and it wont be worth doing.

woolaton is a small profit event, but can be subsidised as there is usually something to be bought.

kent friers i no longer do, as it makes a loss.

bristol i no longer do as it makes a loss.

enfield i rearly do as it makes a loss.

normous newark i no longer do, never sold over £100 at a single event (big loss)

malvern i no longer do at it makes a loss.

scottish a7c i uusually brake even, sometimes make a bit of profit. (i stand this event because the club supports me with a free pitch.

stoneleigh i rearlly do as it makes a loss.

dorset no longer have stalls.
birmingham no longer have stalls.
ashover no longer have stalls.

prescot small profit event

loton i no longer do as it makes a loss.

mallory i no longer do as it makes a loss.

make of this what you will, but this is the thruth about todays event.

if i`m honest events organisers shouldn`t charge at all, most events if they didn`t have trade a large number of people would not have a need to attend

tony

Tony, Have you raised this with the VSCC office? If not you should. They need to hear these concerns straight from the Horse's mouth, they can then do something about it. Forums so often descend into petty moaning and mudslinging (see above) and cannot be the basis of real action. Phone them, they are good people doing a job. Winston

Hi Tony,
You make very valid points which I wouldn't attempt to argue against.
At the end of the day the business is your living and I can think of no reason why you would go anywhere where you can be almost certain to make a loss.
Certainly a factor for me is that, as I get older (and less wealthy!), I am less inclined to buy items on impulse "because they might come in handy one day" so, I rarely make many purchases at events.

I am probably part of the problem!!

Ian Mc.

hi winston,

i will be in touch with the VSCC.

although as i sed they have a new man in charge of the stalls and i spoke plainly to him at least 3 time last year.

i even pointed out how he could go through the records to see how stall numbers have fell away from there events.

and this is still the result.

i think they see us as rich, we just sleep in cold old vans for fun.

as for bright 2 other traders have contacted me about the event. and they wont be attending without cover.

cant blame them, its not easy to hammer stakes into the car park on madeira drive to hold a stall down

Yellow cards to A&OC member and Jon. You are not what this forum is about.

Mike Inglis
Yellow cards to A&OC member and Jon. You are not what this forum is about.

I second that.

Mike, no mud slinging was intended from my part, at least i`m open as to who I am......... I was following on to Tony Bett`s listing as to price increases, sorry to have offended

As an adjunct to this thread I've noticed that more shows are charging exhibitors to show their cars. They used to be seen as part of the attraction of an event and the main draw for the public.
I understand it can be expensive to organise and run a show but without the owners and their cars there is no show IMHO. Many owners have a fair distance to travel and the inconvenience of camping etc to put up with. Unless there is something special by way of entertainment offered to those attending with cars I no longer go to shows which charge more than a fiver.

I'm with Tony all the way here having just received the same envelope from VSCC HQ.
not only have they put their prices up substantially but HMRC a have also seen fit to introduce VAT at 20% on indoor and outdoor trade stands as of 15th January 2015.
The VAT bit isn't a problem for VAT registered traders but many are not VAT registered so this eats into profits.
Many of us travel great distances to attend events such as Prescott and what's more our presence is eagerly awaited by many members that attend. Fuel costs and accommodation are high. It costs me £100.00 in fuel alone to take a heavy trailer to Prescott and back.

The VSCC also state that priority will be given to traders who attend most events and not just Silverstone and Prescott.
What they don't realise is that some of us have other commitments with our trade stands that clash with their events and that's before you've taken holidays into account. As it is, I have to juggle my free time to fit a short break in every year.

Beaulieu represents good value in September as does Wollaton Park in May.
Most other non VSCC events represent good value for money including the NEC when compared with the amount of people that come to your stand. I can do Silverstone and Prescott this year. Cadwell, being local to me- well I like to drive over there for the day in my 12/4 Windsor to soak up the ambience of vintage cars and the racing. A day away from work as well!

As for Snetterton and Mallory, I can't justify breaking even or losing money. Oulton clashes with another event I'm a regular at.

Maybe the VSCC ought to review their prices before traders start dropping out which would be a loss to all who attend.

Peter

Maybe you and Tony should post this thread on the VSCC's website.

tried to register as i`ve never used the VSCC forum before.

and it just come back saying you need to be a member.

if anyone else wants to put a link on there they are welcome to, but i think i`ve had enough of the VSCC at the moment.

tony

Tony

I thought you said you were a member, all you have to do is use your Membership Noto register.

http://assets.bravenet.com/common/images/forum/icons/set111.gif

Please ignore the previous message which was intended as a reply to an earlier message but I couldn't edit it and its taken me that long to get here that I cannot remember which one it was!!!

S. James
Tony

I thought you said you were a member, all you have to do is use your Membership Noto register.

And your PIN no.

i am a member, i didn`t see an option to put my membership number in.

like i say my interested in the VSCC has given up after this sort of treatment.

so i couldn`t be bothered to try any harder with there forum.

like i say anyone else is welcome to do a link.

Tony You obtain a PIN number using your Membership No and then enter both each time you go onto their Forum.

I remember attending a rally in my Austin 7 in the 1970's where I not only did not pay to enter, but the organisers gave me a "goody bag" and a gallon of oil!

Its a sign of the times. My main hobby is steam. There have been no end of shows going to the wall because of two things, lack of income and lack of volunteers to run it.

What can be done? I dont know, but I try not to attend events run as a money making exercise by companies or individuals and support those run by societies and clubs.

I certainly wont be paying to enter with my steamer, it costs enough money to run as it is!. But have done with the Austin.

With regards stalls at events. Father used to have an autojumble stall. He went where he made money didnt go back to where he didnt. Lobbying the organisers for cheaper pitches is fair cop in private, but on public fora I think not.

Hi Hedd,

until about three years ago I used to help a friend drive his Garret tractor to events and the organisers would sometimes make a donation of coal towards the running costs, does this still happen?

Yes. Sometimes some money too. But a lot of smaller events I go to for free.

hi hedd,

im not lobbying anyone as far as i know privately or publicly.

read the thread properly.

it is to tell those who race i wont be able to support them at prescot.

and why i wont be able to. because the prices have jumped to high.

if anyone wants to have a debate on it, i thought thats what forums are for.

perhaps i`ve got it wrong again, silly me. tony

Whilst the price increases are clearly big I don't really think that they can be attributed to the new Secretary's salary - how do you know what the previous man was on, it could have been more??

Also I have my doubts as to the abject poverty that some traders claim to have, if life were that bad why are they still doing it?

Humberist
Also I have my doubts as to the abject poverty that some traders claim to have, if life were that bad why are they still doing it?

I don't think they are still doing it John, that's the point of the post as I read it i.e. to alert those expecting to see them at an event that they won't be there and the reasons why.

I cannot see anyone claiming "abject poverty", just applying common sense when running a business.

I haven't heard any of our traders crying poverty. Why should they not be allowed to make a profit and a living. I don't have a problem with the concept at all. As long as I don't feel like I'm being ripped off ( which I don't).If they feel their business ( their living) is suffering as a result of the increase in pitch fees then they have a right to say and do something about it. If that means not standing at a particular event then so be it. I would do the same.
Regards Ian.

By the way I have the edit facility available when posting from my I phone.

1 2