Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: VSCC stalls prescot & you

Mike, no mud slinging was intended from my part, at least i`m open as to who I am......... I was following on to Tony Bett`s listing as to price increases, sorry to have offended

last year the VSCC had someone new take over the so called looking after the stall holders.

dont get me wrong, he came across as a very nice person. a i had a good chat with him.

he even phone me up after the event, and disgust stalls with me.

i explained that all shows were in decline.

and with prescot, 20 years ago. you couldn`t beg borrow or steel a place there.

were as last year, i wasn`t sure about standing. and books my place two weeks before. there was one other stall holder near me in the paddock who booked latter than that.

so places were lucky to get filled last year.

the stall holders do talk at and about events, and i didn`t here anyone say they had a good event.

this was all explained to the new organiser, and the result is that they put the price up.

it will be interesting to see if other stall holders take the same decision as myself. or wheather they feel if you dont turn out you wont know what you might of missed.

for me i might as well put £1,600 worth of parts on EBAY during prescot week and pay there fees at 15%, which = £240 and then i dont have the derv fees, or have to sleep in the back of a vivaro van for 3 nights.

tony

Hi Tony,
You make very valid points which I wouldn't attempt to argue against.
At the end of the day the business is your living and I can think of no reason why you would go anywhere where you can be almost certain to make a loss.
Certainly a factor for me is that, as I get older (and less wealthy!), I am less inclined to buy items on impulse "because they might come in handy one day" so, I rarely make many purchases at events.

I am probably part of the problem!!

Ian Mc.

As an adjunct to this thread I've noticed that more shows are charging exhibitors to show their cars. They used to be seen as part of the attraction of an event and the main draw for the public.
I understand it can be expensive to organise and run a show but without the owners and their cars there is no show IMHO. Many owners have a fair distance to travel and the inconvenience of camping etc to put up with. Unless there is something special by way of entertainment offered to those attending with cars I no longer go to shows which charge more than a fiver.

I'm with Tony all the way here having just received the same envelope from VSCC HQ.
not only have they put their prices up substantially but HMRC a have also seen fit to introduce VAT at 20% on indoor and outdoor trade stands as of 15th January 2015.
The VAT bit isn't a problem for VAT registered traders but many are not VAT registered so this eats into profits.
Many of us travel great distances to attend events such as Prescott and what's more our presence is eagerly awaited by many members that attend. Fuel costs and accommodation are high. It costs me £100.00 in fuel alone to take a heavy trailer to Prescott and back.

The VSCC also state that priority will be given to traders who attend most events and not just Silverstone and Prescott.
What they don't realise is that some of us have other commitments with our trade stands that clash with their events and that's before you've taken holidays into account. As it is, I have to juggle my free time to fit a short break in every year.

Beaulieu represents good value in September as does Wollaton Park in May.
Most other non VSCC events represent good value for money including the NEC when compared with the amount of people that come to your stand. I can do Silverstone and Prescott this year. Cadwell, being local to me- well I like to drive over there for the day in my 12/4 Windsor to soak up the ambience of vintage cars and the racing. A day away from work as well!

As for Snetterton and Mallory, I can't justify breaking even or losing money. Oulton clashes with another event I'm a regular at.

Maybe the VSCC ought to review their prices before traders start dropping out which would be a loss to all who attend.

Peter

Maybe you and Tony should post this thread on the VSCC's website.

tried to register as i`ve never used the VSCC forum before.

and it just come back saying you need to be a member.

if anyone else wants to put a link on there they are welcome to, but i think i`ve had enough of the VSCC at the moment.

tony

Tony

I thought you said you were a member, all you have to do is use your Membership Noto register.

http://assets.bravenet.com/common/images/forum/icons/set111.gif

Please ignore the previous message which was intended as a reply to an earlier message but I couldn't edit it and its taken me that long to get here that I cannot remember which one it was!!!

S. James
Tony

I thought you said you were a member, all you have to do is use your Membership Noto register.

And your PIN no.

i am a member, i didn`t see an option to put my membership number in.

like i say my interested in the VSCC has given up after this sort of treatment.

so i couldn`t be bothered to try any harder with there forum.

like i say anyone else is welcome to do a link.

Tony You obtain a PIN number using your Membership No and then enter both each time you go onto their Forum.

I remember attending a rally in my Austin 7 in the 1970's where I not only did not pay to enter, but the organisers gave me a "goody bag" and a gallon of oil!

Its a sign of the times. My main hobby is steam. There have been no end of shows going to the wall because of two things, lack of income and lack of volunteers to run it.

What can be done? I dont know, but I try not to attend events run as a money making exercise by companies or individuals and support those run by societies and clubs.

I certainly wont be paying to enter with my steamer, it costs enough money to run as it is!. But have done with the Austin.

With regards stalls at events. Father used to have an autojumble stall. He went where he made money didnt go back to where he didnt. Lobbying the organisers for cheaper pitches is fair cop in private, but on public fora I think not.

Hi Hedd,

until about three years ago I used to help a friend drive his Garret tractor to events and the organisers would sometimes make a donation of coal towards the running costs, does this still happen?

Yes. Sometimes some money too. But a lot of smaller events I go to for free.

hi hedd,

im not lobbying anyone as far as i know privately or publicly.

read the thread properly.

it is to tell those who race i wont be able to support them at prescot.

and why i wont be able to. because the prices have jumped to high.

if anyone wants to have a debate on it, i thought thats what forums are for.

perhaps i`ve got it wrong again, silly me. tony

Whilst the price increases are clearly big I don't really think that they can be attributed to the new Secretary's salary - how do you know what the previous man was on, it could have been more??

Also I have my doubts as to the abject poverty that some traders claim to have, if life were that bad why are they still doing it?

Humberist
Also I have my doubts as to the abject poverty that some traders claim to have, if life were that bad why are they still doing it?

I don't think they are still doing it John, that's the point of the post as I read it i.e. to alert those expecting to see them at an event that they won't be there and the reasons why.

I cannot see anyone claiming "abject poverty", just applying common sense when running a business.

I haven't heard any of our traders crying poverty. Why should they not be allowed to make a profit and a living. I don't have a problem with the concept at all. As long as I don't feel like I'm being ripped off ( which I don't).If they feel their business ( their living) is suffering as a result of the increase in pitch fees then they have a right to say and do something about it. If that means not standing at a particular event then so be it. I would do the same.
Regards Ian.

By the way I have the edit facility available when posting from my I phone.

Ian bennett
I haven't heard any of our traders crying poverty. Why should they not be allowed to make a profit and a living. I don't have a problem with the concept at all. As long as I don't feel like I'm being ripped off ( which I don't).If they feel their business ( their living) is suffering as a result of the increase in pitch fees then they have a right to say and do something about it. If that means not standing at a particular event then so be it. I would do the same.
Regards Ian.

By the way I have the edit facility available when posting from my I phone.

Well said Ian!!!

i`m not claiming poverty in any way.

and as suggested to compensate any takings lost from prescot, i would simply list the same value on ebay.

do remember i use all media to make a living in car parts, stalls are only a small part of my business.

i could just not turn up at prescot, as its no longer a viable event.

but then those who race will NOT know in advance that i wont be there to support them with spare parts.

i felt bringing this to the competetors attension in advance via the forum, (as i know most of them read the forum). would give them a chance to change there preperation for the event.

also i didn`t list anyones salary, and if im honest couldn`t give a **** what he earns. thats his business, and up to the VSCC if they are RICH enough to throw that sort of cash about. (its your subscriptions money).

i did think long and hard about listing all the events. but when i wrote them all down, it suprised me how many have died or are no longer profitable.

i thought this may be of interest to others.

perhaps i am wrong, and J hunberist is correct. all stall holders are filthy rich. and people just throw money at at us at shows for doing nothing. (i dont think any of my customers are that stoopid).

tony

I'm following this thread with interest, as I'd like to take the fledgling A7 woodwork business to a few shows and/or rallies this year and I certainly can't afford to throw time and money away on no-hope venues!

hi martin,

i never see the point in falsifying anything about events,

some people make out things are better than they are, to make themselves look bigger than they are

not many people own up to small profits or losses. it could be seen more as what they are doing is not working.

as i sed what i have listed is the truth abou events.

but if you want to talk more on this subject, give me a call. i dont mind helping.

thanks tony

Thanks, Tony

I contacted the VSCC and asked them to comment on the views expressed about the increased cost of trade stands at this year's events. I received the following reply which I believe addresses the points which have been raised.

'Unfortunately, when prices are increased there is naturally concern and this is not a decision which was taken lightly. I think it is important to provide a little further information which has not been mentioned in the posts:

The stands now attract VAT and so there was a 20% increase across the board before the actual rates were reviewed. However, VAT registered merchants can of course reclaim the VAT.

The price of the stands had not been reviewed for over 5 years and so had fallen well behind the norm. Therefore, any increase this year was going to be larger than we might have wished as the prices had not been reviewed annually as they perhaps should have been.

Oulton Park was a one day event and last took place in 2010 and so a direct comparison cannot be made. This year it is a 2 day event with a major focus on the Family Day on the Sunday to maximise attendance over the weekend which the merchants should see a direct benefit from.

Mallory Park net increase is £75 to £90 plus VAT and again the first increase for a number of years.

Prescott is always oversubscribed and the price increase reflects this as we are struggling to meet the requirements of those interested in a Trade Stand. The net increase is £180 to £225 plus VAT.

I hope that this helps to explain the situation in a little more detail.'

i dont understand how a VAT registered company, are not chargeing vat last year.

but are now chargeing vat this year. but there you go. i`m not VAT registered so perhaps dont understand it.

as for prescot being oversubscribed, (the orchard stalls are) as they collect the trade coming in and out of the event. they have the best chance of selling.

the paddock however was only just filled at the last minute last year.

and at the moment it looks like 3 stall holders in the paddock may not be returning this year.

Martin Prior

I'm following this thread with interest, as I'd like to take the fledgling A7 woodwork business to a few shows and/or rallies this year and I certainly can't afford to throw time and money away on no-hope venues!
--------------------------

You cannot really judge the worth of pitching a stall at an event solely by the amount of money in your pocket at the end of the day. It is also an opportunity to display your wares, meet and greet customers who otherwise would just be voices on the end of the phone, make valuable business contacts, hand out cards/brochures/price lists, attract follow-on orders, etc.

hi dave p,

your point is valid, there can be a small amount of after sales.

if you read the list of events i used to do.

i had to make the same decision with each and every one.

i told myself at i do very little advertising, so whats what i was doing these events for.

prescot is tricky for the amount of time it takes up for the trade.

in the paddock, if you dont turn up wednesday, you end up with the pitches that have 10 ton of aggrigate on them, my stall dont fit these. then you stall out for friday, saterday, and sunday. on top of this monday is rest and unloading, and it probably takes two days preperation.

thats 7 free days for advertising and handing cards out.

alot of what i sell takes time for me to finish, but together myself. its not mass produced from china. i also have customers waiting for items like hartford dampers i dont have time to finish.

at this point it makes more sense to catch up with other jobs, than to give another 7 free days to advertising.

thanks tony