Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New fuel pumps now available!!

PRICE would be a start ?

Here you go Jon, all is revealed:

http://www.theaustinsevenworkshop.com/products/f0212-mechanical-fuel-pump

Sorry Ruairidh,but the thought of everything being revealed is just too much, Off to lie down in a dark room.

Thank you,

Does that mean there will be a few people selling off their hoarded fuel pump actuating arms? If so, can I put my name down for one?

Rob Thomas
Does that mean there will be a few people selling off their hoarded fuel pump actuating arms? If so, can I put my name down for one?

I will sell you a pump arm, how does £60 + postage sound? lol

Bought a used one off ebay a few weeks ago for a little less than half of these new ones,cleaned it up,fitted a new diaphragm and when I fitted it the lower casting crumbled!.Decided to "bite the bullet" and buy one of these.

Stuart,

You generous sole,

Would have thought you would throw in the post

Theyve been remanufacturing ac pumps for years for classic tractors. From memory they are about £20 a pop.

The price will come down if they sell well enough I expect.

Phil. You wouldn't be willing to sell me the remnants, would you?

Certainly Rob,you can have it for the postage (I have removed the new diaphragm for another pump but the rest is there) phil.

Thanks!

E-mail on the way!

Hi heed,

Could you give info on getting them at £20.00

I don't mind getting the arms laser cut.

Thanks tony

Tony
Hi heed,

Could you give info on getting them at £20.00

I don't mind getting the arms laser cut.

Thanks tony

Agriline sell them as lift pumps. The bummer is the one I had has a different mount, studs in a different configuration.

thanks hedd,

sorry about the spelling mistake.

i take it they are the U type pump, instead of the T type.

tony

Phil.

Parcel arrived! Many thanks for your kind help. Can you send me your address so I can pop some beer vouchers in the post?

Rob

Argh! The arm on the pump is the wrong shape. When fitted it gets pushed hard by the cam lobe so that it locks the camshaft solid. I guess that is why it cracked the body on yours, Phil?
The number on the side of the arm seems to have the same first 3 digits as the lever specified for the '65' etc but the last 3 digits might be different. Hard to tell.

Presumably a packing piece such as the insualtor often fitted under pumps will cure. The important thing is that the arm bears in the middle of the pad and not at the extreme tip as occurs with some wrong arms, with risk of slipping under the cam.

Bob culver

Thanks Bob.

I did wonder if I could adapt the pump to fit. The arm is longer than a standard A7 one and came from an M-type pump rather than T-type. I assume the difference is only the priming lever.

I'll try to get some photos tomorrow.

Never got as far as trying the pump on an angine,just bolted on an empty crankcase while I tried to unscrew the tight diaphragm screws and it broke!.got a shiny new one now though!

I've read the piece on AC T type fuel pumps with interest. I have an RP saloon, unusually registered in 1932, not '33 as one would expect,

it's had a number of issues with various attempts to keep her running over the years. One of the modifications it has been subject to is the reversion to a front mounted fuel tank, this presumably was as a result of the chronic rust problem she had suffered from in the rear floor & body panels. I've had the whole car rebuilt bodily, but being as I quite like the scuttle tank Iv left that in place,

however, it has come to light that the car is suffering from fuel starvation unless the tank is full & therefore has sufficient weight to provide a steady stream of fuel to the carburettor, which in this case is the original side draught type,

A friend of mine has pointed out that at some point in my cars life, the mechanical fuel pump has been removed & a blanking plate fitted instead. So armed with this revelation I turned to the internet to find one & came across this thread.

Now as it happens, my friend then phoned me to tell me he had found the appropriate pump on a shelf in his garage & I could have it. Now the problem I have is that there are no unions to connect the pump to the fuel lines & apparently these 'bps' fittings are not available, all the firms selling new type T pumps,including the one listed here in this thread, can supply the pump, but not the unions. Does anyone have any ideas where I can get some, or how else I can couple it all together?

I suspect that a visit to your local engineering supplier will provide the requisite fittings. BSP (British Standard Pipe) threads are still available in many sizes. I was at mine today and came away with all that I needed to connect an AC pump.

BSP fittings available from your local Hydraulics supplier. Pretty much every Town and City has at least one.

Steve

Thanks guys I'll give that a go, better take the pump with me too

Well, the next stage in the saga is... Iv found a bloke in the pub who works at an engineering suppliers just across town FWB in Wrexham should anyone need them, he's supplying the nuts & olives & some Loctite hydraulic thread sealant for a tenner.
So I thought right I'll get it all ready to pop back together when these unions arrive, Iv removed the blanking plate only to discover that the stud holes in it don't match up with the ones on the pump I was given!!! So basically I'm back to the point where I was about to jump on the internet & order one up, only Iv lost a whole week in the process. Well I cant moan too much, in the carrier bag along with the pump, was an original fuel dip stick thingy, which has now replaced me piece of dowel that I was using, so I'm down a week, but up a dipstick! 😁