Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: VSCC Herefordshire Trial

Picture of Nick on James'Jolley here

P.S The big 7 didn't sell at How Caple

P.P.S. Pic of Winston as well

David

Big Seven fetched £4000 hammer price
The "Ulster" was unsold.

Pearls not a Singer

Nor did the Ulster rep project sell.
However in the photographs the body looks oddly "angular" at the back and the description is opaque about the registration. I read it to mean that it had a number plate but no old log book nor a V5 effectively rendering it a Q plate project at the moment.

Charles

This is what it says in the Ulster description

"....a current V5c will enable the splendid period registration number to be retained."

Can be read to say it has a current V5C as well Charles. If so, amazed it didn't sell at a guide of £5k - £7k. Perhaps the fact that it didn't suggests your reading of the description is right.

I should have asked Ted Widgery at How Caple last weekend

Steve

Charles P
Pearls not a Singer

Nor did the Ulster rep project sell.
However in the photographs the body looks oddly "angular" at the back and the description is opaque about the registration. I read it to mean that it had a number plate but no old log book nor a V5 effectively rendering it a Q plate project at the moment.

Charles

do I understand from your post that a clearly numbered chassis, sans its original coachwork and without paperwork is now Q plate territory?

If so, why?

There is a long thread on the VSCC forum about a chap who built up an A7 without documents with a new body. When he applied, (and appealed), he was given a Q plate and new chassis number etc.

Not giving names as this is a public forum and the VSCC isn't. This probably deserves a thread of it's own to be honest.

Problem registering Austin 7 with DVLA
About 10 years ago I bought an Austin 7 special with a horrible 1950's body. There was no V5 but the car had its original reg. number. The car was on a 1929 chassis clearly marked and the original body chassis number and car number plates had been transferred to the replacement body. I rebuilt the chassis and running gear and fitted an authentic replica Gordon England body. The car was authenticated by the PWA7C as a 1929 vehicle fitted with replica body and the recommendation made that it be issued with an age related number. So far so good!
The DVLA forms were filled in and sent off for an age related number. Next they wanted proof of my identity despite having lived at my present address 28 years during which time they have sent me countless demands for Road Fund Tax etc etc. Identity duly sent off, next came back a Form V627 to complete. This is to confirm the source and make of the principal components of the vehicle. All the parts are original A7 apart from a new replica body. Photo of the chassis number also enclosed with my reply.
Just had a reply from DVLA, the car has been allocated a new VIN number (seven letters followed by 10 digits) and will be issued with a 'Q' reg number!
They have instructed me to have a franchised dealer or local garage to have this VIN number stamped onto the chassis frame in a clearly visible and accessible position.
Having had this done and certified by the dealer or garage, I have to present the vehicle for Individual Vehicle Approval.
Has anyone else had similar problems?

Austin,
I hope this is not the end of the saga and you end up with an age-related number. I have been building a special using a 1935 chassis with visible stamped number and all original Austin parts.(standard front and back axles, steering column etc.).I have no documents as the car is made of spare parts I have collected over the last 50 years. I started the project about 4 years ago and have done about 75% of it. If you end up with a "Q" registration number I think I might as well pack the whole project in and spend my time gardening. I suppose you asked the PWA7C authentification officer, Peter Rowlands for all the current guidelines as I did? Do you think the person you were dealing with at the DVLA is unaware of what is required in order to give you an age-related number? Edit!On re-reading your info,I think you are quoting someone other than yourself who had this problem. Obviously I am very interested in the outcome.
Dave.

This wasn't me, this was someone from the VSCC.

Dave Wortley
Austin,
I hope this is not the end of the saga and you end up with an age-related number. I have been building a special using a 1935 chassis with visible stamped number and all original Austin parts.(standard front and back axles, steering column etc.).I have no documents as the car is made of spare parts I have collected over the last 50 years. I started the project about 4 years ago and have done about 75% of it. If you end up with a "Q" registration number I think I might as well pack the whole project in and spend my time gardening. I suppose you asked the PWA7C authentification officer, Peter Rowlands for all the current guidelines as I did? Do you think the person you were dealing with at the DVLA is unaware of what is required in order to give you an age-related number? Edit!On re-reading your info,I think you are quoting someone other than yourself who had this problem. Obviously I am very interested in the outcome.
Dave.

DVLA appear to have changed the rules last autumn.
A pile of bits with a new body will not get an age related number under their current interpretation. If I were you I'd check back with the PWA7 chap.

Charles

Hell. I should have kept my RN body. I could have hired it out to special builders for the purpose of obtaining a number!.

I can see why the purchaser wanted it now!.

Presumably this only applies to age related applications. Not V765 applications?

I've looked on the DVLA website but cannot find any reference to a change in the info from that I have from PWA7C.
As far as "Q" plates are concerned, these are the DVLA's words:-
" 'Q' registration numbers:-DVLA issues ‘Q’ registration numbers to vehicles whose age or identity is in doubt." I cannot see why this should result in a "Q" plate for the VSCC member's vehicle, as he mentions he has full and confirmed evidence of age and identity from a club authentication officer. I will contact Peter Rowlands, authentication officer for PWA7C soon.
Has anyone seen an A7 or any other obviously vintage vehicle with a "Q" plate so far?
Dave.

He has all of that. The problem appears to be that the body is not a rebuilt one, but new. Under the current interpretation of the rules this means it does not qualify for an age related number.
The person in question is a well known A7er, and no idiot. If there is a way around this, he will find it. I sincerely hope he does.

Thank you Alan for the upbeat words. I hope so too, otherwise my missis will be very pleased that I will be spending more time on the garden.