Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Invitation for Austin Seven Owners

Thanks for posting this invitation Bryan. We've had a couple of entries following this post already. We have six Sevens booked in so far for the day, and we always have an Austin 7 versus Morris Minor challenge on the Sunday Navigation Rally for two teams - a real needle match! No, not really - just good fun. The Lewis & Nicholson Compass is competed for - it was two gents by these names - one the owner of a Seven and the other the owner of a Minor that first mooted the idea of a vintage sports car club which led to the formation of the VSCC back in 1934.

Anyway, I'd just like to reiterate the invitation to all Austin 7's (and any other pre-war cars) to come along to Prescott on Saturday July 18th. I think we had over a dozen Sevens last year, and we make sure everyone can park together in the paddock. You can simply turn up on the day or you can pre-book on the website (www.prewarprescott.com), which I recommend if you want to climb the hill, because climbs usually sell out before the day.

It's a very relaxed day with the absolute minimum of red tape and you can climb the hill or just wander around the paddock, and its all in a good cause - the RAF Charitable Trust (I'm ex-RAF!)

One more thing - if readers would like to pass this invite on to their respective Seven clubs, I'd be extremely grateful. In particular, I'd love to see some of the Bristol Austin Seven Club come along - I used to be a member waaaay back in the seventies when I was at Bath University and had a disgracefully tatty Ruby! I now live and work in Seattle (for Boeing - who else?!), but fly over to Prescott every July to run this weekend and to meet up with old friends and new. Any questions or help needed - just e-mail me. Otherwise, see you there!

Just a quick update to say that we now have 15 Sevens booked in, with several from the BA7C, and several for the scenic tour and navigation rally on Sunday 19th. More would be very welcome indeed!

The other big news is that we have secured a full evening air display by Peter Vacher's 1940 Hawker Hurricane R4118 as the highlight of our Saturday evening Battle of Britain 75th Anniversary Victory Party on the hill. With five kills to its name and itself being shot down during the battle, this is the ONLY airworthy aircraft left anywhere in the world that actually fought in the Battle of Britain.

R4118 maybe the only airworthy Hawker Hurricane that flew in the Battle of Britain but it is not the only Battle of Britain airworthy aircraft.

Spitfire P7350 is the oldest airworthy Spitfire in the world and the only Spitfire still flying to have actually fought in the Battle of Britain (copied from the BBMF's history of Spitfire P7350 (Mk IIa).

Austin,

I think you are right, but I don't understand why R4118 is so widely credited as being the only aircraft. I need to do a little deeper research! It certainly appears that this Spit was not only flying but also actually took part in the battle which officially ended 31st October 1940.

Incidentally, I just realised today that R4118 was taken on charge by the RAF on 18.7.40 - 75 years TO THE DAY to our display at Prescott next month!

Ian