Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Rear light unit with indic and no numberplate?

Has anyone found a good unit that does NOT have the side glass for numberplate, AND has forward facing bulbholders (that favour efficient LED conversion) for stop tail and indicator?

Also wonder if anyone has found/tried any minimalist LED numberplate 'bolts' that actually work on 6v?

Re: Rear light unit with indic and no numberplate?

Jon,

You could buy a 'Lucas' AT 201 style trafficator lamp with two pin socket and no side window from The Complete Automobilist then replace the orange lens with an interchangeable red lens.

Tony.

I do like that unit but it doesnt provide all three functions sadly. It looks like porkpies or the D shaped ones are the only ones, but the split red/amber lens look too contrived and modern.

I wonder about whether the side clear numberplate panels in them could be altered to provide the amber bulb LED, though... Facing outward rather than inward.

Paul Beck 'Vintage Supplies' do a large selection of lamps.
A round rear lamp Model 211 available in a variety of configurations. However it has two single contact bulb holders. Perhaps one could be modified to dual contact for stop/tail.
http://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/products/211-container-duolamp-rear-lamp

The only three bulb lamp I know is the much more expensive 'owl-eye' lamp model 901.
It has number plate illumination, though that could easily be be blanked off.
http://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/products/901-rear-lamp-owl-lamp

Jon E
I do like that unit but it doesnt provide all three functions sadly. It looks like porkpies or the D shaped ones are the only ones, but the split red/amber lens look too contrived and modern.

I wonder about whether the side clear numberplate panels in them could be altered to provide the amber bulb LED, though... Facing outward rather than inward.

A few years back blacking out rear lights was all the rage, how about doing something similar to tone down the orange?

Lights are something I've been considering for my special, I need to find something similar to yourself for the rear to go with a boat tail. I'm a way off needing anything, more considering the possibilities.

For the front I'm looking for small headlights with built in sidelights, then white indicators sat on the tops of the wings. I've been thinking about 'tractor lights' but I've not convinced myself yet : Example

Jon E
Also wonder if anyone has found/tried any minimalist LED numberplate 'bolts' that actually work on 6v?

Have you tried one at 6V? They may just work, if not can they be dismantled? For the price of them on Ebay it must be worth a try.

Jim - that unit looks very hopeful as its not TOO bling and they DO have a £10 converter for dual filament bulb.. but its not clear which of the spaces it fits. I've emailed them.

It seems that they have their lens options mixed up, as the best way of working it would be to have top as stop and tail, and bottom as indicator... but they don't seem to have any amber lens option there.

Andrew - you are right. I was just hoping someone else has been a guineapig already! But £3 isn't going to be troublesome, is it?

"I am about to embark on a trial of 12V numberplate illumination bolts for 6V use. Watch this space and hopefully I will be able to provide something illuminating..."

btw, those tractor lights are FABULOUS for the right purpose. utilitarian. and look well made. and thats for TWO! Ha ha.

My LED stop/tail/ number plate and flashing indicator conversion for the pork pie shines amber through a red lens (preferably a red plastic lens). Hard to believe maybe, but it does. Gives hidden rear indicators.
6 and 12v available. 6v is as bright as 12v. Pos or neg earth versions.
Used in conjunction with my amber/white front sidelight/indicator conversion you get hidden indicators all round that are very visible when on.

Also, my BA15d neg earth LED Double Dipper dipping headlamp bulbs are now in stock with pos earth, APF, BPF and BA20d coming soon in a couple of weeks.

Peter

ah - that's good to know, Peter. I'd discounted that route from what you'd put on the website 'red flashing indicators'... but that sounds fantastic. But what are your thoughts on MOT test - has anyone been through with that combination of red lens and the hidden amber flash?

Looking again, I see your custom boards also fit the 211 mentioned above (with no reg. plate cutout) which gives two LED routes for that light, via the rear facing bulbholders AND via the lightboards. What is the difference in overall intensity? (I can see the latter are more bespoke, but the former is easier to put back to original.)

Light boards give a better spread of light.
I can supply the ST38 pork pie lamp WITHOUT a number plate aperture and with red or red/amber lenses.
So long as a flashing light can be seen to the rear (either red or amber on a pre 1965 car) all will be well at the Mot test.

Peter

I hadn't realised pre-65 can be white flashing at front and red at rear. That is useful, thanks.

Things are starting to favour ST38s...

latest on Jim's 211 suggestion; Paul at Vintage Supplies said that the double converter can fit either bulb holder, but that there is NO divider between the units supplied.

One other subtle candidate is the Rubbolite 23
https://www.completeautomobilist.com/products/291-rubber-lamp-rubbolite-23
which has TWO double lamp holders for its red lens, and numberplate light. (not even quite sure what one could use all those for)

Begs the question of whether there is anything which would coat the clear number plate lens so you could use them for flashers with side visibility. I'm determined to get my lights wide apart on the body for general safely (as well as the reason that the holes are already there!)

All you need is amber lens paint to coat the clear number plate lens.

Austin Carr
All you need is amber lens paint to coat the clear number plate lens.

Ebay provides a solution specifically aimed at the Ulster, I assume it could be adapted for special use

Ebay answer

Andrew Cooke
Jon E

Have you tried one at 6V? They may just work, if not can they be dismantled? For the price of them on Ebay it must be worth a try.

Errr... They do! And for two quid, they look pretty darn good. Obviously, they will probably fail. But, most importantly, they enable me to keep the rear light units wide apart, and in order to just get the car running, I am going to put a stop tail converter into one of the single bulb units.. And use the other one for indicator which will shine through the fake pork pie lens rearwards and through the numberplate aperture with some orange tint foil... Changed to be viewed from either side of the car.

fantastic, I suspect I'll be doing something similar.

Andy

SVC sell a Pork Pie type light with or without the number plate lens

http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/1252-stop--tail---indicator--pair-/

Andrew Cooke
Jon E

here is how minimal they are! Also bought some orange sticky tint foil for 99p posted from China to stick into my fake porkpie numberplate lenses.

Beware of the SVC/Paul Beck Pork pie and D lamps: the bulb holders are of such poor quality they are beyond safe use. Budget time/money to improve these. Reasonably easy but fiddly. W