Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rear light unit with indic and no numberplate?

All you need is amber lens paint to coat the clear number plate lens.

Jon E
Also wonder if anyone has found/tried any minimalist LED numberplate 'bolts' that actually work on 6v?

Have you tried one at 6V? They may just work, if not can they be dismantled? For the price of them on Ebay it must be worth a try.

Jim - that unit looks very hopeful as its not TOO bling and they DO have a £10 converter for dual filament bulb.. but its not clear which of the spaces it fits. I've emailed them.

It seems that they have their lens options mixed up, as the best way of working it would be to have top as stop and tail, and bottom as indicator... but they don't seem to have any amber lens option there.

Andrew - you are right. I was just hoping someone else has been a guineapig already! But £3 isn't going to be troublesome, is it?

"I am about to embark on a trial of 12V numberplate illumination bolts for 6V use. Watch this space and hopefully I will be able to provide something illuminating..."

btw, those tractor lights are FABULOUS for the right purpose. utilitarian. and look well made. and thats for TWO! Ha ha.

Austin Carr
All you need is amber lens paint to coat the clear number plate lens.

Ebay provides a solution specifically aimed at the Ulster, I assume it could be adapted for special use

Ebay answer

Andrew Cooke
Jon E
Also wonder if anyone has found/tried any minimalist LED numberplate 'bolts' that actually work on 6v?

Have you tried one at 6V? They may just work, if not can they be dismantled? For the price of them on Ebay it must be worth a try.

Errr... They do! And for two quid, they look pretty darn good. Obviously, they will probably fail. But, most importantly, they enable me to keep the rear light units wide apart, and in order to just get the car running, I am going to put a stop tail converter into one of the single bulb units.. And use the other one for indicator which will shine through the fake pork pie lens rearwards and through the numberplate aperture with some orange tint foil... Changed to be viewed from either side of the car.

fantastic, I suspect I'll be doing something similar.

Andy

SVC sell a Pork Pie type light with or without the number plate lens

http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/1252-stop--tail---indicator--pair-/

Andrew Cooke
Jon E

here is how minimal they are! Also bought some orange sticky tint foil for 99p posted from China to stick into my fake porkpie numberplate lenses.

Beware of the SVC/Paul Beck Pork pie and D lamps: the bulb holders are of such poor quality they are beyond safe use. Budget time/money to improve these. Reasonably easy but fiddly. W