Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mounting a vice on pivoting wall frame - How?

If you search "farm gate hinges heavy duty" you should find a suitable hinge. Hinges that are for large wooden posts are long enough to go through a reasonably thick wall.

Looks like you're still having trouble with the weight is it really 40Lbs or as in your other posting 15Lb?

Geoff why not stick it outside on a steel post concreted into the ground. More room around it to work, you can place a bag over it to keep it dry. cheers Russell

Peter,
Just weighed again and it's 40Lbs. Got it right this time. What can an old f@rt say.

squeak,
If I was still in the Southern Hemisphere I would do so, but the UK's weather is not really conducive, but will see.
Some time ago I bought a heavy 18" diameter domed C.I. base 18" in diameter that has a 3" diameter steel tube bolted to it, thinking at the time of welding a plate on and mounting the vice on said plate.
May try this first as it will be quicker, easy to move and nothing lost if it doesn't prove stable enough.
A hole in the concrete for the post would work, but no facilities to make one, and our local plant hire place has just gone belly up.

Geoff - Just made all vice cross-shafts sticky so no more blood blisters

Austin Carr
If you search "farm gate hinges heavy duty" you should find a suitable hinge. Hinges that are for large wooden posts are long enough to go through a reasonably thick wall.

Thanks for the pointer.
Didn't realise there was such a big selection.

Modified three of my bench vices to have friction cross-shafts/handles so they stay where I want, and no more blood blisters on fingers.

Geoff - Garden duty today.

It's done.
Decided to try a Vice Stand first, using what I had available.
Top plate is 19"x12"X1/4"
Tube is 3"Ø X1/8"
Used my CT-312 TIG in anger for the first time, 'Walking-The-Cup" welding the top plate to the tube.
Only time will tell if it's suitable or not.

New thread started on the Rejuvination of the Ruby, first lot of photos showing engine coming out.

Geoff - Actually making progress at last