Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
1 2
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Flood at Association Archive room

There appears to be no counter-argument here so let's either hear from those against (who find that knowledge is power?) or proceed with the project without undue delay.

Peter Naulls write:

Hi Ruairidh,

Delighted to see recent discussion and progress on the A7CA archive proposals. I wholeheartedly support all that is being proposed (I remember suggesting this 20 years ago!) and eagerly look forward to the result.

Only one other comment – that the “finished” website should permit (even encourage) owners to add serious research articles to the archive. I don’t mean accounts of club runs or restorations just period information relating to dealerships, coachbuilders, correct specification of cars etc . It seems to me that much of the material that has been (and will be) written in the mags of the many member clubs should at some point be accessible to a wider audience - if the member club /author so wishes.

Peter.

P.S. I’m still unable to post on the forum, hence the email.

It would also be very useful if the A7CA magazines were archived and put online at high(er) resolution.

It is sad to read of 'apathy' (in the various comments posted recently...) and of the barbed comments poked at the Association particularly with regard to the recent flood damage and lack of satisfactory action. The short answer to many of the points and criticisms raised is simple.

The Association's members are the clubs themselves, and by extension the Clubs' members i.e. the general ownership of Sevenists. IF in your view - and there seems to be plenty of vitriol flying about - there is insufficient action being taken, or inadequate forward planning (re considering digitisation of archive material for instance) then interested clubs should INSTRUCT THEIR CLUB REPRESENTATIVE to put forward a motion/proposal at the next A7CA meeting. This can be done in writing if distance (to Gaydon) is a problem, as it is for many clubs.

Follow up any problems/differences immediately the minutes are published; ask for a time-scale/progress reports between quarterly meeting; keep the pressure up on those nominated until a satisfactory result has been achieved.

IN THE MEANTIME IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THE WAY THINGS ARE DONE AT, OR BY, THE ASSOCIATION - NOT the Officers - they merely act upon members' (I.E. the Regional Clubs...) instructions, THEN OFFER YOUR SERVICES AT THE NEXT AGM!! There will be many who would be grateful for a chance to step down and let someone else have a go.

REMEMBER - The Officers of the A7CA are all volunteers who give generously of their time - and whose only reward is carping and complaint (which is why I gave it up after eighteen years, and recently have ceased to be a member of any Austin Club after nearly forty years, I can't put up with petty squabbling in what, after all, is supposed to be FUN).

It is easy to post troll-like comments against fellow Sevenists whose only fault appears to be THAT THEY DO NOT GET ANY SUPPORT OR ENCOURAGEMENT FROM THE MEMBER CLUBS - please don't - better by far to offer to help.

Good to hear your views Bob.

I have just reread the entire thread and several points come up more than once, namely:

- that the A7CA “Committee” is made up the 17 member Clubs + A7CA Chairman, A7CA Secretary and A7CA Treasurer.

- that members (Sevenists) should Lobby their Club to put forward or support (via the Rep.) a proposal for action.

- that the “Officers” are not there to find solutions or make a statement, that is the “Committee’s” job.

I do feel that these points, which have been made repeatedly and clearly throughout the thread, are in total agreement with much of what you are saying.

I am aware that almost all member Clubs are now actively engaged in discussions as to how they can “help” to push this forward.

Much of the discussion here came about immediately after (and as a direct result of) the production of the last set of minutes and progress reports were sought here and through emails.

Several people in the thread have offered directly and specifically to help.

This thread is a very good example of how enthusiasm for the Association, it’s workings and capabilities can be reenergised to do something very good indeed – I for one hope it does not die a death, and I hope that you agree this issue is far too important to ignore.

Has there been any progress in this matter? is anyone aware of the current position as to what is happening? Obviously there is no requirement for the committee to keep us on this forum updated but a few words of enlightenment would I am sure be appreciated by all.
Reminded of the subject as heavy rain continues to thwart my efforts to work on the "Car Pavilion"

I, like several others, am waiting to see the minutes of the Association meeting two weeks ago, which was meant to discuss and vote on this issue.

David and Peter,

I have asked my own Club for their Reps. report from the meeting, I would recommend you do the same.

I understand that the topic was discussed and the Bristol Club proposals, see below, were accepted in full with a promise for monthly updates on progress via the A7CA Website - the first update should be posted within the next two weeks I would imagine.

By all accounts it was a very supportive and constructive meeting, everyone concerned should be congratulated for their part in this.

Bristol Club proposal:

Bristol Austin Seven Club

This proposal is for discussion and a members-only vote at the A7CA meeting on 12th July 2015

PROPOSAL TO ASSOCIATION CONCERNING A7 ARCHIVE

The Austin 7 archive collection was deposited for safekeeping with the Association on behalf of all the members clubs, for the benefit of members within and without the Clubs. The material is of important historical value both in respect of the history of motoring and society. Following the recent flooding disaster, the Bristol Austin 7 Club wish to make this formal request and proposal.

The Association should make adequate funds available to undertake the following actions as a matter of urgency:

1. Engage professional expertise to make a full catalogue of the content of the archive, including all documents and objects as a first priority.

2. The archive to receive professional inspection and recommendations concerning the current state and condition.

3. Essential and necessary professional work to be undertaken on conservation and preservation.

4. Seek professional advice regarding digitally recording all documents and objects.

5. Proceed immediately with the appropriate professional advice, following consultation with the member Clubs.

6. Once digital recording is complete, to then proceed to distribute and make available copies of the digital records to all members Clubs.

7. Provision for the digital records to be updated as and when new material (documents and objects) is added to the archive and for the updated records to be simultaneously made available, distributed, to all member Clubs.

8. At all times the archive must have the best possible protection from fire, flood, theft and third party disaster.

Time sensitive and important information from the Secretary:

"Club Secretaries and Registrars,

Heritage Motor Centre is currently experiencing a high demand for access (isn’t that what the dreaded automatic telephone messages say?) to Gaydon on 4 Oct and have had to impose an advance ticket-only access system. This will be in the form of mirror hangers and wristbands which everyone will need in order to get near – let alone through – the main gate. The tickets should reach me tomorrow (Sat) and I will post them on to the Committee – hopefully by first class pigeon – on Sun. I consider the Committee to be those officers whose names are printed on the inside front cover of The Grey Mag.

Gaydon are not restricting our numbers but they are sending me only 16 tickets because that is what I booked months ago. However, if all the Committee places are not filled, I will be offering spare places for which you or your club may bid but only if that individual believes that he/she has good reason to be at the committee meeting. Let me know but don’t be disappointed if you don’t get a ticket. Please confirm, also, the address to which I should post the tickets – ie the address at which the lucky punter is going to be between now and, say, Thursday.

I look forward to hearing from you. First come, first served. No response: no tickets: no access!

Bob"

There appears to be a misunderstanding in the above information.
When we formed the A7CA in1968 we were very careful to ensure that the Association was not to be seen as a club in itself.
We felt that the myriad of different clubs and registers was generally of great benefit and I think we have been proved right.
To this end the constitution laid out rules which simply put ,stated that each member club was entitled to send as many people as it liked to the quarterly Association meetings but only
one was allowed to vote and these voters constituted the committee.
This committee then elected Officers of The Association to carry out the committee decisions.
If Gaydon cannot accommodate all the officers and all the committee then I believe a new look may be required.

Ruairidh's posting needs some clarification.

The reason for the numbers being restricted for Sunday's meeting is that Gaydon advised us at the last minute that the last remaining Vulcan bomber is making an appearance that day over Gaydon. They have taken it upon themselves to sell tickets for the event thus anyone entering the site will be charged.
Bob Prophet, our Secretary, as normal, had booked the room for sixteen persons, ( usually many more attend which Gaydon will always accommodate ) but on this occasion they are only supplying us sixteen free entry passes.
We will discuss at this meeting whether we need to organise a further one to accommodate representatives who have " lost out ". We normally put no restrictions on the number of representatives attending.

This scenario is a one off and normal service will be resumed for the future.

Chris Garner - VC, A7CA

The Association Committee is unusual in so far as it is made up of the member Clubs, not the people listed in the front of the Magazine, they are the Officers - this has been confused I think.

An Association Committee meeting can't really take place without a cohort of the Committee ( The member Clubs) in attendance, can it?

1 2