Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Microplas Stiletto/Scimitar Fibreglass Bodies

I`m sure Bob Wilkinson drives on of these ? (green body yellow wheels) when I last saw it !!

Hi Hedd
Think we might have to have a chat sometime re your car from the pic it looks just the same as mine my thoughts were that it was a stiletto however had a few people look at it who seemed well in the know regarding pre 50s specials and they were convinced it wasn't having said that I am still to find a brochure or catalogue or something with a true picture and not a sketch of a Stilletto I now have my fingers crossed that you have some history with your car
Bob

bob,

I've sent you an e-mail.

I have a large file of 'guff' on Microplas, I've no doubt about its identification.

In my history file is a picture of a cream car, very well finished, red interior, windscreen etc. Makes mine look like a heap!. Formally with an owner in Wrockwardine Telford, also an advert when it appeared for sale.

There is also some correspondence with a gent down south with a body in pieces.

The guy I bought mine off also mentioned a poor body on e-bay some time ago.

He said he only knew of two cars on Seven chassis on the road (mine and the cream one). and 3 in total with the guy 'down south' on seven chassis.

Tony has a body so that would make another.

They sound pretty rare.

I'd like a windscreen on mine, I'm looking at a Triumph spitfire item, complete with frame once I've sold a kidney to buy some tyres.

All interesting stuff Hedd have sent you a mail back but thought I would also reply a little on here too give all something to read (better than watching the soaps on TV)
My car also is a little shabby I also would like a full screen it did have one when I got it however the chap that built it was apparently very tall and so was the screen horrendous !!!!!! The idea was good it looked like a screen of a 50s speedboat but glass not Perspex it just had too go so was replaced with a single aero screen till I get round too doing something else will see if I can get some pics up here soon
Bob

Here is the cream car I mentioned. No idea where it is.

Hi Hedd,

RSY 521 is currently listed on DVLA as untaxed - tax was due 1st July 2000, so it's been off the road for some while - strange given the tax due date that it's not SORN'd - SORN was introduced 31st Jan 1998.

Year of manufacture 1934, date of first registration 30th July 1996, colour white.

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

Hi all

I obtained my Stiletto shell with a pile of parts that I bought in France which are now being built up into a rolling chassis. I intend to fit the shell on to the rolling chassis so that I can register the car.

As far as I can tell, the shell was originally fitted to a 1930 short chassis which had been boxed and cross braced and also fitted with the most horrendous IFS involving bottom wishbones and large chunks of steel and blocks of Aluminium. It was all disassembled and I have not bothered to try to put it back together. I reckon that it weighed more than the chassis. The shell itself has had all the internal stiffening and wheelarches removed, so I am busy fabricating a support frame, which is testing my lack of welding skills.

I will also be fitting aeroscreens, although it looks like a full width screen was fitted at some time in the past.

I will try and post some photos when it is all together.

tony

The information I have that came with the car, suggests that no internal stiffening or wheelarches etc were offered as fitted at the factory.

Though they could be supplied for 'self fit'.

You say your body came off a short chassis?.

It may be worth running a tape over it lengthwise. The 'Stiletto' was for a 6 foot 9 chassis. The 'Scimitar' was for the 6 foot 3 chassis.

Comparing it to mine may confirm one way or the other. I do not know where the difference in length is likely to be.

The info I have also suggests that a Stiletto Mk2 was availible. As you may have noticed the rear end tapers in quite a lot which suits the narrow track of an austin well, however this was less pronounced on the Mk2 so as to make fitting the body to other chassis easier.

Hi Hedd

I have just run a tape over my body and the wheelarch centres are about 2.0 m or 6' 7" in old money. It is possible that the IFS that was fitted to the chassis extended the wheelbase. I know that having the wheels offset in the wheel arches by about 2" may look a bit peculiar but I will have to live with it for now.

There was an option to have the body 'clipped' or not. So the positioning for the wheelarches could have been down to the builder.

With fibreglass, you could soon add a bit to one edge to make it look right.

Since Bob was kind enough to dig me out some photos I thought I better update this thread with some info.

Here is Bobs car

This is significantly different from my car. I've found numerous other Stiletto bodied cars since I've had mine and I'm convinced mine is a Microplas Stiletto, and Bob, I dont think yours is!.

Here are some better pics of my car.

And some poor copies of period adverts

Tonys body is identical to mine form the photos he sent me.

In terms of other on-line resources, it seems that the Stiletto body was popular on the early Turner chassis. See these links

http://www.turnersportscars.co.uk/t_photos013.html

http://www.turnersportscars.co.uk/t_photos031.html

http://www.turnersportscars.co.uk/t_photos_unk_stiletto.html

Yep think you are correct Hedd it's deffinitley not the same as yours hmmmm wonder just what it is ? any help appreciated boys
Back to individuality I guess wonder if that makes it worth any more ha ha
For the readers info the guy that built it was 6'6" hence the super high windscreen (Urghhhh) the great shame is once you take the spacer out from under the screen the screen no longer fits the body great shame as its a super shape ah well just have to put up with the aero screen for a time
Thanks Hedd for putting the pictures up for me
Bob

Without muddying the waters, can anybody identify this one, or is it Bob's car?

Unusual Lights are the same on both

here on the 2009 L2B

Yes that's my one without the high windscreen
The pictures Hedd put up for me where taken by the guy that built it just after completion
Bob

Mine currently has a bench seat, so the level of your a@rse is limted by the torque tube. And like Bob it feels like sitting on a pimple. However the three seats suits presently.

If I take the bench out I can sit a full 2 inches lower and you are more in the car. I think this will happen sooner or later.

I tried a MG Midget screen on my car, but as the deck is flat after I lopped off the mountings and did some grinding it fitted perfectly at the edges but with a 2 1/2 inch gap under the middle!. The top was also at eye level.

I think judging by the curve it wouldn't be far off fitting yours Bob, assuming the width is something like. It cost me £20 and is now no use to a MG man. However I think it would be too low, but would do a better job than the aero screen.

Ive weighed up a Triumph TR4 Spitfire etc screen, nearly perfect, but I will have to sell a kidney to buy one. So I may end up making one in ali and flat glass. Perhaps a V with a split in the middle. We shall see. Engine currently in bits.

Bob, I recoln your screen may fit mine? How wide is it? assuming you still have it?

Have you identified the screen on the white car? Its really lovely looking in a light colour too. Touch of the Mercedes SLR about it with the sills showing up against the dark of the wheel arches.

My info in the file suggests its 'Consul', but I have not been able to find a pic on goodle images that Matches.

The suspension is lower than my car too. It does look very nice doesn't it?. My car is more workmanlike in its build!. I like it as it strikes me as a typical 50's style Special, not pretending to be something it isnt.

Tony and Hedd,

Browsing through old copies of the A7CA magazine - issue 1984D had an article on The Stiletto by Microplas on pages 12 and 13 with a 3/4 front view and a dimensioned three view drawing supplied by Phil Baildon.
You will need a good magnifying glass but all major dimensions are shown.

Tony.

Bob have a look at Hedd's catalog picture of a Microplas Toledo. You may have one of those, looks similar. cheers Russell

This is a Microplas Toledo, at present I've no idea what chassis its on.

Here are a pile of bodies

The first three light coloured bodies on the left are Stilettos, the lighter one on the right with no door is a Toledo. The other shape are Mistrals

Photo above source http://www.stilltimecollection.co.uk/

AM CURRENTLY REFURBISHING A STILETTO WHICH, ACCORDING TO MY "LACKING" INFORMATION WAS VERY WRONGLY BUILT IN THE FIRST PLACE. . . . . . . .
PLEASE LET ME HAVE YOUR CONTACT DETAILS AND WE CAN COMMUNICATE DIRECTLY

Hedd Jones
This is a Microplas Toledo, at present I've no idea what chassis its on.

Judging by the 13" wheels and negative camber on the rear I'd guess Herald/Spitfire

Hi Bob
I own what i think is a stiletto body but it has no opening doors or boot.
If i sent you a photo could you maybe identify it?
Regs Jim Bayliss