Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Pedal shaft seals

In my third edition of Pitman's Book of the Austin Seven and Eight, there is a section on gearbox removal on page 80. It says "withdraw the pedal stalks through the toe-plate, being careful to retain the rubber and metal pedal washers on the engine side of the toe-plate." I have never seen a picture of these, but last time I had the clutch apart I made some 1 inch diameter washers out of 1/8 inch thick rubber sheet, which slide tightly over the brake and clutch stalks. The seals move up and down with the stalks, so are of course only effective when you are not braking or using the clutch !

Considering that Austin went to the trouble of sealing draughts and fumes by using felt strips on the removable floor sections, a gaiter round the handbrake and a rubber grommet at the base of the gear lever, it would have been surprising if the pedals were neglected.

I guess it's one of those little non-critical items like radiator flitch plates, door check buffers, and battery and spare wheel clamps that get lost over the years.

Two of these came today:

Pedal shaft seal photo 20150430_160241.jpg

And fitted to the pedal shaft:

Seal fitted to brake pedal photo 20150430_160233.jpg

These are for a VW camper (I think they fit Beetles as well), an eBay purchase of £4.49, fit a treat, the rubber moves with the pedal so the sealing is only effective when the pedals are up, which is most of the time.

Another benefit is the pedals do not clang on the toeboard on their return to rest position, easy to fit, clutch was easier as the pressure from the pedal kept the rubber in place while the pedal was inserted from the car.

Will experiment with a rubber washer for the accelerator pedal!

Garry,
Do you have the eBay reference number please?

Geoff - Today replaced two Carport roofing sheets that blew away on Tuesday.

Hi Geoff

HERE

There are a number of sellers on eBay with this product, but this was the best price and I didn't want to spend more if it was found that they were no good!

Thanks Gary.
Duly ordered.
Was thinking of trying to make some myself, but I doubt if I could improve on something specifically made to do the job.

Geoff - Carport roof fixed, so cleanup today.