Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Not Austin Seven - just for those who like Steam Engines

Very impressive

Max torgue at zero revs. The slower you go the harder they pull!.

What was impressive is that the engine was still under overhaul until the night before they low loaded it to Bovington for that run. If you look you will notice bottom gear had not been fitted as they didn't have time. It has 3 gears normally.

The engine on the front is ex Australia. The cylinder casting had been dynamited. Something to do with a tax dodge on new machinery.

Anyway it came back to the UK in the 70's and was fitted with a replacement cylinder off a smaller machine, offset big ends etc.

It went through a number of hands and had been subject to some dubious engineering since, but Neil Gough bought it, had a pattern made for the correct cylinder, and had one cast, which he machined himself, sorting out all of the dubious engineering in the meantime. The result you see. The WD persona is fictitious, but the machine is near enough.

I understand it is doing the HCVS Brighton Run this weekend towing a replica howitzer.

The engine on the back is a pukka ex WD (more accurately Army Service Corps) machine.

This weekend there will be a small locaal steam and vintage meeting at the Smith's Arms, Beckwithshaw , Harrogate HG3 1QW. Anything interesting will be welcome. I'll be there Saturday lunchtime 12.30 ish in a Pembleton or on a Velocette.

Can I recommend a short sequence from the BBC TV 'Great Railway Journeys of the World' (1979) in which Michael Wood journeys from Cape Town to Vic Falls. The sequence from 20.28 to 22.36 brings a lump to the throat, however, the sound of the locos is somewhat spoiled by overdubbed music.
https://www.youtube.com./watch?v=LRwtABg21YA
No Austins in sight but at least one British-built engine

Is this the film about the North British Locomotive works which shows a glimpse of a Steam Road Loco called Supreme pulling a loco out of the works with a Diamond "T"?
apparently the Diamond "T" could pull the load but could not get it started hence the use of Supreme which is in preservation and will be at Pinkneys Green Maidenhead next weekend (9th & 10th of May) with Carters Steam Fair, I will be with it. worth a visit if you have not been before there is a run round the town on the Saturday morning I am sure that any 7 would be welcome