Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Identifying a registration number not listed on the DVLA website

Mark, what area of the country, do you live in ?

Hi Jon,

Thank oyu for your reply, I live in Bracknell Berkshire not a million miles from you.

Kind regards

Mark

Tel: 07834032188

Hi Mark
The "Kithead Trust" hold records for many counties and can provide a certificate of registration.

Howard

Hi Jon,

In fact only 34 miles away from you Jon

Kind regards

Mark

Tel: 07834032188

Thank you Howard, I've never heard of that trust before, I'll Google it now and find out more many thanks for that, do you think I stand a chance getting the number back form the DVLA if they have a record of it Howard.

Kind regards

Mark

The issuing authority can easily be found from the internet, identified by 2 letters of the registration (last 2 if it's 3 letter).
Then it is often possible to find details of the county archives for the issuing authority.

Hi Mark

I used a "Kithead Trust" certificate along with other info, chassis number etc and had no trouble with the DVLA. However I had quite a lot of history for the car (it was my late father-in-law's). Also I had the excellent services of the South Wales club and the application was completed in 2013 (two years ago). I've heard tell from this forum that the DVLA are getting tougher so I hope you're in luck.

Best wishes

Howard

The troubles 'appear' to be for people trying to obtain age related numbers for cars with 'new' (that is less than 25years old) bodies.

Mark has a Speedex, I think it would be fairly easy to establish that they have been out of production since well before that, so there 'should' be no problem.

At least the reported issue isn't one that would appear to effect Mark.

Mark,

Suggest you also check your registration number on mycarcheck.com - that should tell you if the number has at some point been transferred to say a more modern vehicle, whereas the DVLA site won't tell you that unless you happen to know the make of the vehicle now carrying the number - which in most cases is unlikely.

Had you mentioned the two or three letters of your registration, I have a book that gives addresses of all the archive departments that hold registration records. However if you contact the Kithead Trust, they'll give you all the relevant details of where to look. Be aware however that some Counties / Boroughs destroyed all of their records when the then DVLC, now DVLA centralised vehicle record keeping in Swansea, starting in 1969 through until 1971. The London Boroughs being one such case where all records were destroyed.

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

I have been though this last year with my 7special.
To get the original number you will need documented evidence I.E photo's showing the reg number,old tax disc's or other such evidence.
If you go for an age related plate you will need to prove that the chasses and its components are older than 25 years. contact Michal Burgess who is the London Austin 7 club's official DVLA contact who will write to DVLA on your behalf. you will need a valid chassis number and engine number and photos of the car, he does the rest

Hi Charlie thank you for your email,

I'll give the chap in London a go if I don't have any success with getting the number it was issued with. If you go for an age related plate are you implying that the car would have to be in a roadworthy condition i.e. not in as purchased - unrestored. And unfortunately the car came without an engine Charlie, I guess this could also be a problem as well with regards to getting a plate for it.

Kindest regards,

Mark

Howard, thank you for your information regarding the Kithead Trust, very interesting site and one that I did not know existed, so thank you.

I did go on there this afternoon and ascertained from the site that the car was registered in Warwickshire and that the county records office was still the holder of the archive licencing information. I have since then contacted them and a very helpful Chap has emailed me an application form to apply for the relevant information. I now eagerly await a letter in the post that will hopefully support my application to reunite the car with its original number.

I shall inform the forum of my progress on this matter in the coming weeks.

Thank you Howard and thank you one and all to all this that have contributed to this thread. After having been involved with "Specials" for a number of years, but only recently with any Austin Seven based ones, the help that I have been given is quite astounding so thank you all once again for your kindness and input.

Best regards,

Mark

Not roadworthy but as complete as possible. It must look like a complete car even if the engine is missing, don't take it to bits until you have a number!

Hi

Charlie that you for this information very much appreciated thank you for taking the time to reply to me.

Best regards,

Mark