Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cylinder Head Nuts

Also have to agree with Hugh - if anything was more optimistically and inaptly named than the dreaded "Easy-out" I have yet to come across it!

Plenty of diesel/heating oil round the stud, then a concerted attack with a good Stillson is my answer. Why worry about damaging the studs? Throw them away and fit new ones - they're cheap enough

Rick

I am with Hugh & Rick. Any broken studs drill them out. You can use the cylinder head as a guide to centre broken studs by putting it back on the unbroken studs and then with the correct size drill put it down the empty hole and just drill enough to make the centre visible. Remove the head then fully drill out the stud. I use a small drill as a pilot first then finish off with the correct size drill ( the one used to find the centre). Follow it up with the oversize tap and insert. Job done.

John Mason.

Easy Outs seem primarily intended for broken bolts where, once broken due fatigue or over tension, the tension goes and a modest turning effort will retract the thread.
Various thread sealants will keep water out and a prudent precaution where thread into water.

Bob Culver

A little diesel and tap on top is a good start...... but time is best go easy

Then a little heat.

I've give up on manifold studs coming off this way. There is just too much damage resulting from putting the car on its side

I must look into Helicoil, not used them before.

Seems that a prepared "run up" to the job is advised, with several replacement parts to hand.

I would prefer to leave this type of job until autumn if possible. Enjoy the car during it's first summer with me.
I have, so far,
overhauled the dynamo & got the charging right.
Reduced the oil leakage from engine.
Refurbed the carb.
Done lots of routine maintenance.
General tidying up, replace a few bits of trim.
Enjoyed driving.

Are there any other members in the North Lancs/ South Cumbria areas? Could maybe arrange a get together sometime. Would be good to rub shoulders with more experienced owners.

regards & thanks to all,

Chris

The West Lancs A7 Group meet at: Briars Hall Hotel, Briars Lane, Burscough, L40 5TH. on A5209.

Brian Hughes is the Sec. and can be contacted on: wlpwa7g@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks Ruairidh,

I am aware of the West Lancs club, but it is around 50 miles from me.

perhaps a group more centred around North Lancs and South Cumbria could be formed. I would be interested in helping to start one if there was interest.
...maybe start a new thread

I use a counter sink center drill to start there is less chance of breaking the drill

Smaller working to larger tip. Much easier to control that normal drills Easy to get in "full carbide"

If you use Helicoils in holes open at the bottom be sure to use some sealant to prevent leakage