Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: GE Register Website/archive...

Excellent effort Ruairidh - you have done a splendid job. Will provide a lasting benefit to everyone interested in GE's.

Peter Johnson
What ever happened to the detail photos that were on the original palaceofindustry website that Damien GT set up? There were some really nice detail photos of bonnet catches etc... that would be really helpful.

Peter,

Damian (thank you) has send me the bonnet catch photos and they are now uploaded under "Cup Body details".

Superb site R!

I find myself drawn towards the GE cup ever more. As we have a spare short chassis, axle, engine kit etc, I can see one being built here one day! Got a Grassything to do first though.

Are there any photos of the body mountings? I have looked at the patent, but am not entirely clear on the configuration.

All the best

Stuart.

Yes, I have some photos of the early type mountings and, possibly, the later ones also - I will post these up soon.

Andrew Goodfellow has the later mountings in stock (and makes almost all of the other metal body parts as well).

For body brackets, take a look at:

https://instagram.com/p/vMWZIkPtG3/

https://instagram.com/p/vMWMvaPtFA/?taken-by=fk4274

Not too difficult to make if you have the desire.

Kindest Regards

Peter

Those look very good Peter,

I have uploaded some pictures of Tom Abermethy's very early (possibly the earliest know) Cup which I took s it was being dismantled for restoration - there are quite a few that show the body brackets and other features you may find interesting/useful. This car is now almost finished and looks superb!

scroll dpwn to see the most recent photos mentioned above: https://gordonenglandregister.wordpress.com/ge-cup-model-body-details

Ruairidh

Yesterday I had no problems, however looking today the site loads up, and then gets 7/8 covered by a blank black screen.

Same PC here as yesterday, Ive tried IE and Firefox and had the same trouble today. Yet there are no problems on my phone.

Anyway, what is considered a early and late Cup?, as you know our chassis and bodywork remains are 1928. If body mounts suitable are availible from andrew then that would be good, but they do look a simple folding exercise.

Also what purpose do the extensions serve on a Cup?, do these connect anywhere?

I'm keen to mount our body soon, in addition to the mounts some fore and aft datums would be useful if anyone has any.

also how the fromt angle iron hoop mounts, it seems father sawed through the special engine mounting bolts when he recovered the car, and threw them away!.

The transmission tunnel on our car is identical to that pictured of Toms, save someone has taken a square lump out for the speedo drive, it looks an afterthought to me. Would a march-ish 1928 car be on the border for the gearbox mounted speedo vs propshaft driven one?

The outrigger brackets on our chassis are bolted on, so clearly an afterthought once the original body was removed, yet appear to be of Austin pattern.

That said we also got a narrow long nose Banjo rear axle, another complete front axle and steering box, also an **** backwards ball change 3 speed gearbox cover off what I guess was a late 1930 early 31 car. That must mean that such a car was broken in the same ownership. Perhaps the outrigger brackets were also off that.

Anyway, good work.

Hi Hedd,

I cannot offer an solution to your PC problem - sorry.

At least 3 different distinct body/construction styles exist Hedd, at 1928 yours would be one of the last made.

Which extensions are you referring to?

some more public domain photos to add to the collection! Is this one a well known car...?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1928-Austin-7-Gordon-England-cup-model-/191584471783?

Hi Ruairidh

Do you have any photos/ dimensions for the battery box which resides under the seat? I assume that it is supported from the chassis or from the rear body support extensions.

I am also looking for details of the boot lid hinges. I am hoping that Willie McKenzie can make them but he will need either a drawing or a sample.

Some photos of existing complete GE Cup Models would also be useful, but otherwise the site is great.d

Hedd Jones
... what purpose do the extensions serve on a Cup?, do these connect anywhere?

As far as I know GE didn't use the chassis extensions on the Cup models. However, given the tail-heavy nature of the bodywork, it would seem prudent to make use of them.
One way is to build a wooden box-section 'bridge' between them and support the central strut under the body with it. The late Jim Musty used this on his car.
Another way is to fabricate a couple of L-shaped triangulated brackets and attach the upright part of the brackets inside the wheel arches. The horizontal part of the brackets is mounted on the end of the extensions via a double-ended rubber mounting which is used for attaching part of the exhaust system on some cars. I am using this method on mine - I will see if I can get any photos, although it might be rather difficult as they're fitted to the car.

Great site, Ruairidh!

David

Thank you for the emails and photos that have been sent over the weekend, I shall post them up over the next few days.

The archive is growing well, thank you to all who have contributed.

Tony Saward
Hi Ruairidh

Do you have any photos/ dimensions for the battery box which resides under the seat? I assume that it is supported from the chassis or from the rear body support extensions.

I am also looking for details of the boot lid hinges. I am hoping that Willie McKenzie can make them but he will need either a drawing or a sample.

Some photos of existing complete GE Cup Models would also be useful, but otherwise the site is great.d

Hi Tony,

I don't have dimensions but I think that it is simply a u-shaped bracket rather than a box - somebody will be able to confirm.

Boot hinges - we have discussed this before I seem to remember.

Existing Cup models photos - yes, I have some and will put up in due course. I hope to do the Fred Dash car photos sooner than later as it really is the only solid reference point that exists.

Peter Johnson
What ever happened to the detail photos that were on the original palaceofindustry website that Damien GT set up? There were some really nice detail photos of bonnet catches etc... that would be really helpful.

Peter,

Thanks to Damian I have now been able to upload a considerable number of close up detailed shots of the boot catches (new and original), door hinges, sill plates, door catches, bonnet catches etc. I hope you enjoy them as much I as do :)

See (scroll down - all the way down): https://gordonenglandregister.wordpress.com/ge-cup-model-body-details/

Hours of fun and all thanks to you Ruairidh.

I know have a hankering for a Sunshine Saloon, I must stop myself and get the RP sorted!

I am glad you enjoy it Ivor, remember to keep visiting the "Home" page to see the most recent uploads - quite a few today already.

Items of interest continue to come in that I am able to share through the Archive.

A recent addition is some film taken around 1989 of the Fred Dash car - it will be of interest to many I am sure.

https://gordonenglandregister.wordpress.com

Please keep spreading the word about the archive, the more we share, the more we learn

Great site, R - enjoyed it !

What excellent work all round

I see there are 3 splendid photos of a GE Stadium on the bay of E

Link to one of them

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGINAL-PHOTO-AUSTIN-7-SPORTS-3-MILES-FROM-WELLS-ON-THE-ROAD-TO-CHEDDAR-1931-/161894883156?hash=item25b1afdf54:g:YqoAAOSw585WUb6Y

Thanks for the Hedds up :)