Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Steering Play

Realising that nothing is "normal" in the A7 world, is 3" free play at the wheel ok or not ok and at best what could it be ?

Re: Steering Play

This topic covered recently. Seven components now have hugely varied history, but I would expect most to adjust to about 1 inch, and, if just 100,000 miles or so up and by turning the gear wheel, almost none, and with lapping, none.
The conventional wisdom seems to be that some play is desirable.
It is important that there is no tendency to stick, esp near straight ahead.

Bob Culver

Hi Nick

Borderline according to here

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_220.htm

Howard

Nick,

In my mind 3" rim free play is too much - 1" to 1 1/2" maximum. Check the steering arm is tight in the hub, the track rod ends with a little spring movement, the box for drop arm mesh and steering column end float - both adjustable - but as mentioned with care to not introduce any binding or tight spots.

Tony.

Thank you everyone, time to get the overalls on again.

Nick,

Make sure that you adjust the meshing of the gears in the steering box.

My '37 Seven has an adjuster on top of the steering box.

Good luck.

Matt

After much fiddling I got mine down to about 1 inch on my special with no binding. I was happy with that. But I need to take it apart again since all the special grease is leaking out from somewhere!

Simon

Hi Matt. Please would you contact me as I am interested in adjusting my Ruby steering box? Can you talk me through what has to be done? Thanks Colin.

When adjusting steering boxes, tight spots can be missed if tested by pulling on the road wheels. The flywheel effect of the steering wheel tends to carry through. A very delicate touch is needed on the steer wheel.

Much is made of lubricants. A thick oil is probably ideal but not if it is all on the garage floor. I am suspicious of greases with a high level of moly. The oil seems to drain from. I suspect any slightly fluid grease is fully adequate. In my youth I laboriously dismantle boxes to change the lubricant but, unless not dismsntled for decades, largely a waste of effort.

I probably learned my first swear words from my father when grease dripped on his sunday best grey trousers.(The sunday drive was very much an instituion 65 years ago. We found that when a "modern" arrived in the late 50s, a jaunt of a mere 20 miles or so did not feel like a drive, so, as with others, the tradition ended.)

Bob Culver