Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: MK1 Ruby Door Seal, all help appreciated

Another me too!

Missing on my car

Thanks in anticipation Colin

There is a flat metal strip (that I have covered with leathercloth) that is screwed to the floor and this sandwiches the door seal (which is leather with rubber piping).

The vertical sections of the door seal are secured by the kick panel & the rear panel. Around the door window frame, the metal strip that fits in the channel (the wiring for trafficators runs underneath as well), secures the front section and the metal trim along the top of the door opening secures that length and the capping piece to the B post completes the fitting.

Mostly, the door seal is leather with rubber piping, but I have got some parts using furflex, this is not quite right and the rubber tube inner is too big and the door didn't close properly, so I removed this and reverted back to the leather seal (as fabricated by Bryan Purves) and this fits much better.

There are a couple of areas where the door seal is totally impossible to be gap free, and that is around the striker plate and around the door capping piece. Clearance is needed for the door catch and around the capping piece, it is just too tight.

A bit of a fiddle to get the fitting about right and it is not a continuous length, lots of lengths butted together, I have 5 separate pieces, but it can be done as 2, around the window & around the door, but that means a lot of material and it is not economic to do that as there is a lot of waste, so the shorter lengths are the order of the day.

I also put a length of the seal underneath the door capping piece to rub against the glass on the inside, my door had fixing holes for this and it fits well & looks right, not seen it on anyone else's car though

photo 20150608_185011.jpg

photo 20150608_185037.jpg

photo 20150608_185047.jpg

photo 20150608_185054.jpg

photo 20150608_185108.jpg

photo 20150608_185113.jpg

photo 20150608_185125.jpg

photo 20150608_185139.jpg

photo 20150608_185019.jpg

photo 20150608_185019.jpg

photo 20150608_185025.jpg

Sorry I have just picked up your message. do you still want dimensions and photos for the door seals? Colin.

Lovely work Gary!

Thanks Ruairidh! I can see all the faults & would do a better job the next time! But I am pleased with the results.

Gary,
Very nice job, well done. I notice that you do not appear to have fitted the winterising flaps to the front fresh air vents, or did the Mk1 not have them perhaps.
They were a "L" shaped piece that fitted over the vent using Dot buttons

I have only ever seen these fitted to Mk2 cars Derek.

"the door seal is leather with rubber piping",

On my 1937 Pearl the wiring to the rear travels through the covered piping which you mention running along the bottom of the door aperture.

Thanks for the excellent photos Gary.
Very very helpful!
Just what I needed, as I had do idea what was done originally.
The Singer will be put to good use.
What thickness of leather did you use?
I was contemplating using modern rubber sections , but leather is far more in keeping.

Edit: How did you get the windscreen rubber to fit so well in the corner!?
There will no doubt be more questions from me in the future, if you don't mind.

Yes please Colin for dimensions.

Geoff - As if I don't have enough to do

Hi the total distance around the door aperture is 140 inches. It is joined in the top right as you look in the door. I gun tacked in place then fixed in position with a retaining plate at the bottom , fixed under the cover on the semaphores , under the top headlining plate and the other plates round the window and other internal covers . If you e mail I can send some pictures of the result . It is similar to the photos already on the forum. I got the materials from Woolies.

Hi Derek, I have seen pictures of these flaps, but on the original ply & leathercloth there was nothing to indicate that I had these, they do look like they might be useful though!

Hi Geoff

The leather was the off-cuts from the seats, Bryan Purves did the seats and made the door seals from the left-overs.

However, I am going to have to make the seals for my Uncle's car (as BP did not do any for his!) and the rubber section (sponge) is about 6mm in diameter and compresses nicely and I will be using the same vinyl that we had for the areas that had leathercloth originally, cut this to about 70mm wide as long strips and then machine this together, the free edge can be trimmed to suit, although most of it is hidden away.

For the metal retaining strip, I had the rusty originals, which I re-used, I just glued the vinyl using a contact adhesive - it did look as if originally that the metal had hessian applied first before being covered with leathercloth. Of course, my car may not have been original, but it did seem that these strips were undisturbed from the factory.

The rubber you see around the windscreen is just a piece (folded section) that I put over the metal edge to the aperture/dash panel as it looked un-finished. The actual windscreen seal (not visible) was the new one supplied by Austin Seven Workshop (for the Mk II), I had to cut this down to reduce its overall length, but it fits a treat, much better than the earlier ones, it has the corners moulded in, which improves the fit no end.

I also used A30/A35 windscreen trim to the A-post on the windscreen side, these are made of thin metal and have a nice curved edge to lap over the door post channel. They are bigger in both directions, so I had to trim them down with an angle grinder to reduce them down and cut the profile so that these were right top & bottom, the ones on the car were my first attempt, I have to make a pair up for my Uncle's, but I will also re-do them for my car to get a better fit. It was quite easy to do and the finished result looks ok, but I have no idea how they were originally.

Here are some more pics:

photo 20150609_164119.jpg

photo 20150609_164115.jpg

photo 20150609_164140.jpg

photo 20150609_164136.jpg

photo 20150609_164125.jpg

photo 20150609_164232.jpg

photo 20150609_164248.jpg

The bit of rubber used on the windscreen aperture was just some that I had laying around, but it does finish off what is otherwise a bit of a rough edge.

I will be re-doing the A-post covers, the fit is not as snug as I would like.

The door lock covers are the new ones from Austin Seven Workshop that Jamie had made up, these are really nice quality and very good value, very pleased with these!