Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Steering Box Oil Leak

Hi Margaret. When I fitted a "new" steering box (Early Ruby type) I used Penrite steering box lube. This appears to be thixotropic, and has less tendency to seep out over time. Steering operation seems fine. Might be worth a try before dismantling anything too far ?

I appreciate that it might be tricky to remove all the old lubricant first if the box stays in situ. I wonder if just loosening the end cover would be enough for it to drip out ? I refilled the box by temporarily removing the grease nipple and using an old gear oil squeeze bottle with its plastic tube.

Re: Steering Box Oil Leak

Margaret,
I haven't had one in bits for a while but I don't recall a felt seal there. The tube that takes the horn and indicator cables up the column has a compression type nut sealing it to the bottom of the steering box - make sure it's got an olive in and try a nip on that?

You can buy sheets of felt from Complete Automobist but cutting a seal could be tricky. If it's a very small felt, wrapping greased string round and round instead could work.

You say oil which may be part of your problem, I've always used grease and as John suggests a modern 'stay in' type oil could help.