Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Collective Noun for Crankshafts?

I was at Phoenix Crankshafts yesterday and couldn't resist taking this photo.

So what is the collective noun for crankshafts? A stroke? A wiggle?

Interesting to think that Phoenix have produced so many A7 cranks now (>1000) that around 10% of existing 7's have one fitted!

And such a nice company to deal with. Such a shame that John Newman was forced to retire after a major stroke last year.

Phoenix Crankshafts June 2015 photo 2015-06-08 12.48.21_zpsvfoz1b40.jpg

Re: Collective Noun for Crankshafts?

What about a Web or Rev or Throw or Journal? Did you know that the collective noun for Bankers is a Wunch? Have to be careful of spoonerisms with that one.

Martin

A break ?

Tony

Tony I like your suggestion BREAK.

John Mason

I think it all depends entirely if they are intact, I have all sorts of names for broken ones. Martin pleased to see the picture, saves me phoning Mark to ask if they are back from nitriding , should get a call soon to pick one up for my Rosengart.

So do they ever break? Are they going to eventually run out of work?!

How about a 'crack' of crankshafts for the Austin owner
and an 'earner' of crankshafts for Phoenix?

Jon E
So do they ever break?

Yup!

photo crankbroken_zps9be668ea.jpg

A Ringing?

Evidently Julian's crankshaft is in sound condition! A rumble of crankshafts?

I would have preferred alliteration but a crumble of crankshafts doesn't quite do it.
Regards,
Stuart

If I was desperate to find a crankshaft, a collection of them I'd call a "blessing"

Does look impressive however would be nice if the product was as good as Phoenix of old last batch circulating around OZ very ordinary,one should not have to linish new cranks or close and hone new rods.

Paul Boatwright

Following Stuart's preference for an alliteration how about 'a Clutch of Crankshafts'
Bryan

I have a collection of crankshfts. They certainly do not qualify as a "blessing" (although sometimes provide useful as anvils and packing pieces.) And whilst Tony's "break" captures the spirit they have not all yet. More a "scrap" of. incidentally all ring quite well.

At least the broken one has failed where it should; near the point of maximum bending moment. History would be of interest and wheter of not the radii and nitriding layer had been interfered with. Fatigue failures do fit a bell curve (to some scale) and some will be at the beginning. As with ball races the extremes can be far apart.

Bob Culver

I have a light shaft number 8891 (February? 1925) hanging on the end of the bookcase behind me and light shaft number 97110 (September? 1929) hanging in the shed - both ring true!

I do think they look very good with their nicely swept crank arms.

Our Club Magazine is called 'The Light Shaft', depicting a line drawing of the early Austin Seven crank with a tastefully drawn break across number three journal

Tony.

Tony Press
Our Club Magazine is called 'The Light Shaft'

When I was a child Bill Sheehan came to live with us for a short period - this was not unusual many people lived at the house over the years - after he left Light Shaft continued to be delivered to him at my parents address. The Magazines were placed in a plastic bag hanging on the back of the "Sewing Room" door (the room Stanley Edge slept in on his visits), and became quite full over time, it hung there for year and years. Bill never came back to collect them and eventually they must have be recycled.

The mention of Light Shaft made it all flood back - thank you for the nostalgia trip Tony

R,
Any obvious reason for the broken Phoenix crank?
Cheers,
Dave.

The crank does not belong to me and was doing a million RPM when it broke - it is from a very fast race car.

More damage when another race one let go:

photo A7amplorryonMamTor-1_zpsb2a08ad3.jpg

I am not ware of any breaking in normal road cars and these examples are extremes that were pushed to the limit and beyond Dave.

Obviously part of a CKD Seven.

R,
Bit of araldite no problem.
Dave.

Great believer in Holt's Crankweld myself.

I hope that one the these collective nouns appeals:-

A "drive" of crankshafts.

A "revolution" of crankshafts.

A "turn" of crankshafts.

The correct answer, as given by Encyclopedia Britannica, Seventh Edition, is a 'crook' of crankshafts.

M.

Maurice Arbetter indeed! Pah!

How about a "whip" of crankshafts to reflect the original ones.

"How about a "whip" of crankshafts to reflect the original ones."

From that well known book 'Fifty Shades of Crankshaft'.

Tony.

Ruairidh - Thanks SO MUCH for reminding me about the pile of Light Shaft n/letters - not just the reminder of the passage of time, but also that the present proprieter of Chateau Dunford will now read your submission and probably calculate the demurrage incurred if they're still there. (The sudden receipt of Unexpected accounts tend to upset the chronologically challenged). Cheers, Bill in Oz

Just for the heck of it - and something to do while I have a coffee- I have compiled a list of collective nouns for crankshafts in the order they appear in the thread (get it?)

stroke
wiggle
web
rev
throw
journal
break
crack
earner
ringing
rumble
blessing
clutch
scrap
drive
revolution
turn
crook
whip
rotation.

I would throw in a 'rotation' of crankshafts.

Back to work!

Whoever has the broken crank momento as Ruairidh's first photo, if failed by revs alone would expect the fatigue beach marks to start from the outer radius instead of inner as usual for breaks in all the more usual places.
Can anyone confirm?
I suppose these racing shafts with little use and modern cleansing oils do not show the brown fretted areas which form inside the usual cracks as these progress over the decades. With fast moving cracks are the customary beach marks obvious?
Owners of road Sevens can console themselves that the typical shaft has probably done 600 million revolutions or more.

Bob Culver

I am pleased to report that as hoped my replacement Rosengart crank was among those in the picture, I picked it up yesterday. Many thanks to Mark at Phoenix for rushing it through for me. I can now get on and rebuild the engine for Beaulieu.