Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Best British Car Ever

Hi
Has anyone managed to get past the captcha verification to vote on this site yet?http//www.classicandsportscarshow.com/Content/Best-of-British-1-2

Dave

Re: Best British Car Ever

I'm assuming I have as this morning I put in the captcha number and then I could submit my info.
Dave.

By the way I voted for the Morris Eight.......!

It took me 3 goes to get the captcha verification to work, the first one I could only see a blur.

Now then, Rolls Royce Silver Ghost, Bentley Speed Six, Austin Seven. I wonder.

Focus, Alan - forget work, you're becoming biased!!

I hope that everyone who's voted is now looking forward to the mountain of spam that they've agreed to receive!

'Best' is such an ambiguous word

Much as we love the Seven, apart from quirckiness, and adaptability to specials, hard to rate it highly after the advent of the Ford Y. As Dave has concluded, the Morris 8, with brakes and big car feel, has much going for it. The E, without the pitch motion and with a 4 sped box, was a very pleasant car. But the later Minor has to be the tops.
And it was a British design (even if the engine derived from the American designed Y) From the view of the ordinary buyer annd user and second hand owner point of view, best cars are often staid ones which prove reliable, but which would be sneered at by Clarkson. India recognised this by making millions of mid 1950s Oxfords.
The luxury cars just prove that money can acheive almost anything.

Bob Culver

In the widest sense - the best car for the general public which introduced more people in the UK to motoring than any before was the Austin Seven surely.

Maybe not the most advanced or even best and most original design but it helped change the face of motoring.

The many who favoured motor cycle and sidecar up to 1922 were convinced, to Austin's benefit, and the design soldiered on well past its use by date.

The 'best' car design argument outside this could go on forever.

Tony.

It's beyond me why anyone thinks a vehicle with diamond encrusted dashboard and headlining representing the sky at night should be regarded as something desirable.
Dave.

I don't get it. Best for what? Performance? economy? comfort? affordability? size?

Best car for who? ... Young? old ? male? female? Tall? short? etc.

What may be the best car in the Summer could be the worst in the winter.

We are constantly being bombarded with competitions for one thing or another.

I have better things to do with my time.

I have an engine in the garage to sort out.