Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Out of the mouths of old age pensioners...

Bob, your brother Dave is sure to have one somewhere in the yard, keep looking !!

My uncle Geoff learnt to drive in a "cammy" minor with central accelerator and when it was replaced with "old Henry" a Y type ford he had it converted to a center pedal!. My uncle Ivor drove an old humber woody staff car after the war, the steering wheel was broken and just had the spokes left ( no MOT then) on all cars he drove after he used to steer by the spokes!

Last weekend I was chatting with a Model T owner who explained the use of the three pedals and what happened when one half or fully depresses them. I confess that by the time he finished I was completely flummoxed as to which did what. Though the bit about arriving at a roundabout and depressing what one might have thought was the clutch - only to launch the thing into top gear, did sink in.

He said that the most successful person he had ever taught to drive the car was a young lad who had never before driven any type of vehicle. He picked it up straight away.

The Model T is a marvellous contraption. There are three pedals but neither of them is a throttle.

Right is brake, middle is reversing, left is forward gear selection. The T has a 2 forward speed and reverse epicyclic transmission. With the engine running, move the left hand lever to vertical this takes off the brake transmission lock and puts it in neutral. The two column mounted levers are for throttle and ignition advance/retard.
Push left hand lever fully forward and depress the left pedal and open throttle. You are now moving forward. When your teeth begin to chatter, lift the left pedal and you are in the top gear.

I love the Model T just because it is such fun but as far as American vintage cars go, I wouldn't swap my Dodge for one. Not in a million years!

Have driven more than 100,000 miles in a 32 minor since 1972 with a central accelerator and have never "wrong footed" in this or a car with standard pedals,It just seems to be natural,just like reverse being where first is on a three speed box,I have never set off in reverse!.phil.

Thanks to all the respondents, I knew about centre throttles in other cars and I have driven one for a short distance myself. It was prescisely for that reason I asked the question, strange things do happen

Thanks particularly to Bob Wilkinson who made me look for a Land Rover Prototype and found this:

http://www.favcars.com/land-rover-prototype-ii-1946-pictures-95989

A Unicorn still might appear.

Ha Ha thanks Julian I knew I had seen one somewhere
Just gotta find that elusive unicorn now !!!
Bob