Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Recent thread on Whittle Jets

Thank you Dave, not where I had remembered it all, age you know!

Jack - If you or anyone else want insight into the subject read this lecture: The early history of the Whittle jet propulsion gas turbine. By Air Commodore F. Whittle

James Clayton Memorial Lecture 1945

He talks, in order of construction, about how the first models were started

Page 425 (Test Assembly of First Model of Experimental Engine)
The original intention was to start the engine by means of a two-cylinder air-cooled aero-engine, but the torque fluctuations with this engine were found to be too severe and a 20kW d.c. motor was used instead.

Page 427 (The Design and Testing of the Second Model)
We were now using a 10 h.p. motor car engine as starter motor, which was mounted on the trailer complete with its own radiator, petrol tank etc

Page 431 (The Design and Testing of the Third Model)
Some useful experiments were made on starter motors. Successful starting was achieved with a small single-cylinder two-stroke petrol engine and also with the electric starter motor of the 10h.p. motor car engine which had been used for starting during most of the testing

AND THEN THIS:

Later on page 431 (Testing of the W1 and W1X engines)
The starter motor for both bench and flight tests was a 7 h.p. motor car engine which could be connected to and disconnected from the engine by hand.

Sadly there is no picture of the starter for these W1 and W1X engines. The photo of the W1 engine mentions an 'oil starter' but this is not the same as an engine starter. I'd say there is a strong possibility that an A7 engine was used for starting these later engines. Presumably it was mounted on some sort of trolley, to be wheeled away from the engine after starting.

Hello Nick,

thank you for your input, I am trying without success at present to post an article I wrote for 'Aeroplane' some years ago which confirms your suspicion and gives much detail. Sadly I am unable to overcome the spam gremlins, other than being able to type Ar*e, it has rejected my attempts three times, but gives no indication of what it does not like and so one is left guessing, which in a long post can be hours of trial end in my case error.

Any ideas please?

whats this engine? Not a Austin 7 engine I would say. But ali crankcase iron block. Is it v early Reliant?

This is a different engine, not Austin 7 either

Interesting article about 'your' great inventor from the Daily Mail in 2011-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1379807/Frank-Whittle-Jet-engine-inventor-genius-shrank-globe.html

Sounds horribly familiar

Tony.

Its a 10HP BSA engine, still unable to post the article, feeling frustrated