Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
A Special A7 Wooden Bottle car

Found this interesting car

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C626724

Re: A Special A7 Wooden Bottle car

Interesting idea, looks like a very small radiator and gear stick coming out of the dash at a high level may pose a challenge.

what possesses people...? "Darling, I've had this great idea for a..."

apparently only for sale as the proposed conversion into a dachshund-mobile needed a longer chassis.

Does the gear lever imply mated to some French gearbox? Is it real wood or vinyl? If real wood is it veneer stuck to ply, steel? Does it come with a corkscrew for stowing luggage? If you poked the protrusion into someone's grille could lead to all sorts of incriminating accusations.
Of all the bottles in the world there must be some shape more practical and aesthetic. What is the link with wood?
Perhaps there could be a competition to guess how the gear change connection is arranged. Would it have a mirror image gate? Etc

Bob Culver

Regular visitors to the Isle of Man will be familiar with the Bushy's Brewery fleet:

photo DSC00353-600x450_zpsss2puhps.jpg

These DO have gear levers poking out of the dashboard, but then they're very obviously 2cv-based.

I prefer the Seven!

Another well known one:

I think 5 of the Bass/Worthington Daimlers were built c 1920 for publicity. At least two still exist. One resided at Charterhouse School for a long time in the 60's

My best mate built the car, he spent many an hour making it and it is real wood to form the shape of the bottle and the dash.
As for the gear linkage, my mate is an engineer/mechanic and normally bespoke makes everything, it was linked to the original gearbox.