Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mk 2 Ruby Battery

Hello Ian. The battery was originally held by a right angled horizontal strap which sits about halfway down the side of the battery. This strap tapers down to a round threaded portion at each end, with one end emerging from the side of the box through a 5/16 inch (?) hole, and the other through the front of the box in similar fashion. Wing nuts are used to tension this up once the battery is in place. These are the sort of detail parts which get lost over the years, but sometimes turn up.

The starter cables emerge from slots near the top of the box just under the lid, and run straight down to the starter switch and the starter securing bolt (engine ground). These benefit from rubber grommets at the slots, and/or a piece of extra sleeving to prevent chafing. There should be a couple of cable clips to hold them neatly to the bulkhead (firewall).

I use some yellow flexible material called "battery mat" underneath and above the battery, to absorb and neutralise any acid splashes.

Incidentally, the battery type is 421, which I believe was also used in pairs by MGBs.

Hi Ian, I took some photos and measurements for Martin Baker of a Ruby battery strap that I'll send to you personal email address. There's quite a lot of them, so I'll try and shrink them to a size that will be transmitted quickly ! Regards James

HI James,
Please could you copy me in with the photos & dimensions for the Ruby battery straps.

Thanks & regards ; Bruce

James,
Please copy me also.
Thanks

Bruce and Derek, Hopefully you've received the photos of the Ruby Battery Holding Bracket, sadly I've not heard from Ian McGee so maybe my computer skills/photo sending abilities are not up to scratch ! James

Good news ! Have heard from Ian McGee and he's received the photos. If there is any other relatively obscure part on a Ruby that anyone needs photographing I've got a very original car as a reference. Offer stands as long as I don't have to take anything apart !!! James

Thanks to those who replied here, and I'm sorry I didn't answer you earlier. I think I now have enough pictures to make up something that looks reasonable. At the moment, there's no point looking for an original strap, because it wouldn't fit the battery in my car. Someone earlier said it should be the same battery as an early MGB. I know what those look like, and mine is not even close. But it's a good battery, so I'll use it till it dies then get the right one.

Cheers!