Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Being Towed

Are you affected by legislation as we are in the UK?

I have cut and pasted this from our DoT "A"-Frames and Dollies Information Sheet:-

Trailers having a combined axle mass not exceeding 750kg are not required to have brakes fitted. However, if the trailer (regardless of mass) is fitted with a braking system, then all brakes in that system must operate correctly. The regulations do not include design constraints on how this should be achieved but, for example, it could be met by direct linking of the trailer brakes to the brake system of the towing vehicle or by automatic inertia (overrun) operation via the towing hitch.

Austin Carr
Are you affected by legislation as we are in the UK?

I have cut and pasted this from our DoT "A"-Frames and Dollies Information Sheet:-

Trailers having a combined axle mass not exceeding 750kg are not required to have brakes fitted. However, if the trailer (regardless of mass) is fitted with a braking system, then all brakes in that system must operate correctly. The regulations do not include design constraints on how this should be achieved but, for example, it could be met by direct linking of the trailer brakes to the brake system of the towing vehicle or by automatic inertia (overrun) operation via the towing hitch.

Hi Austin,interesting point you make-seems like the A framed vehicle, if considered a trailer, needs to have someone in it to operate the brakes?
For NZ,rather than me cutting and pasting try this
http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/
This is the "MOT" inspection guide which is used here, which used to be quasi 'trade only' but is now a public document.
There are other requirements regarding things like weight of towed vehicle relative to towing vehicle, length of towing connection, lighting thereof etc etc.
Edit: 'Inservice certification WoF & CoF' is the section.

Off on a tangent I did not anticipate.

I concede I had not given thought to the current legality of A framing. It was definitely legal and common here in the past but I have not seen recently. The very modest towbar rating of many modern vehicles is a problem. (50 years ago unregistered stock cars were A framed scores of miles to events and the battered wreck A framed home after, but that was stopped long ago. Now, as with all trailers here, must have a w.o.f and be registered. Years ago I A framed a Jowett 360 miles with another. The 50 % stopping requirement definitely would not have been met, esp in the wet! Incidentally the power to weight ratio still bettered my Seven, and uphill easily overtook trucks of the time.Exiting square suburban turns in the wet the outfit stayed cranked out of line for a considerable distance. Despite 60 mph, mpg was remarkably good.)

I was surprised to see A frame brackets on a Seven. I would not expect a Seven to follow diligently.

Towing with a rope requires a skilled team. If run over the rope can loop around the wheel and then pull tight over the steering links! A solid towbar hugely simplifies the operation. Can be fabricated from wood with some simple bracket attached to the car. When far from home in old cars with no AA cover, I often carry one. it is vtal that the front end cannot drop onto road!

NZ locals may be surprised that trailers in UK not reqd to be registered or MOTd. Despite our tediously frequent checks, see many worrying boat trailers.

Bob Culver

Quote "I concede I had not given thought to the current legality of A framing. It was definitely legal and common here in the past but I have not seen recently."

Still OT...
A-frame towing is still legal [subject to certain conditions mostly relating to Frontal Impact].
Often seen on 'grey gypsy' Toyota Coaster house buses with a small SUV attached.

See http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsheets/75/a-frame-towing.html
and: http://www.aa.co.nz/cars/ask-an-expert/legal-advice/show/892/