Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: captive nuts?

Another possible answer is to use "Captive J Nuts" - no special tool required to fit them.

I bought a "rivnut" tool at an autojumble for a "tenner",it sets nuts from 4mm to 8mm,they are available for around this price on ebay.

tried the two nut method to wind one up, and as they are only M4 (and have a countersunk allen key top) it didnt work - lost purchase on it too early.

Need to find an M4 bolt with a whacking great head... or get the £11 tool...

I already have a rivet gun. Any idea whether the inserts are interchangeable?

I just braze appropriate nuts in place if it's a steel panel.

ok, cheap rivnut 'riveter'-type tools....

As the rivnut effedtively balloons to fit, that means some of the thread is going to be lost anyway as the operation occurs. I have a degree of thread strip on each one - is that normal because of this?

Or can one change the settings somehow to mitigate the loss?

I have alloy ones - I presume stainless ones may be better.

Hi Jon,
The thread part of the rivmut doesn't ballon, the section above the thread is thin walled and is the part that compresses.
You need to make sure that you buy them to suit the thickness of material that you are installing it in.
for the smaller thread sizes you can use a bolt and nut to install. Put a nut on the bolt thread the bolt into the rivmut hold the bolt still and unwind the nut. This will pull the rivmut up.

Ps the 5 mm ones can be re tapped to 1/4"" once installed if you want