Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: RH insurance

Insurance companies are a necessary evil! However, RH - in the past, at least - have separated me from my money in the most pleasant manner. I insure four cars with them - three sevens and the modern - and have no complaints whatsoever. I've been taken home on the back of their lorries several times too, and would recommend THAT service to anyone.

As I see it, they have been owned by a "big" company for years. Now they are going to be owned by another "big" company. There is no more likelihood of major changes with the new company than with the old - market forces and the whims of some high-ranking bean-counter are always there, whoever is at the top.

Rick

I agree with Rick, excellent service.

I agree with the excellent service in the past. We can only hope that is to come in the future with the new owners. At the end of the day profit and shareholders are what matters to these companies. Let's all hope the balance sheet shows good results.

John Mason

According to Emma of R&H who was at Beaulieu today there will be NO noticable difference to us the insured. the company has changed hands but the customers such as us conditions will not be changed and Equity red star will remain the underwriters.

That sounds promising Derek.Nice to have some personal feedback.

I have had good service from RH for many years, and have my modern insured with them as well as the Sevens. Their pan-European Breakdown cover has been useful on a couple of occasions, for the modern as well as the vintage.

However, on my return from a funeral this afternoon, I found a letter from the DVLA telling me that my modern was not on the MID (Motor Insurance Database) and I had better do something about bl**dy quick if I was to avoid a fine. I immediately looked into this and found to my absolute horror that it had expired more than 2 months ago!!! I had been innocently driving around (including a trip to Holland) for all this time COMPLETELY UNINSURED. Straight on to RH - WIHIH??? Why no renewal letter? Oh dear, sorry, sorry, new system, lots of renewal letters weren't sent out. but it's ultimately your responsibility to ensure that you are insured. Yes, but you have been faithfully sending me renewal letters every year for decades, so I have been lulled into a sense of security.

Anyway, luckily no harm done, both they and I surprised that DVLA hadn't just hit me with a fine, and they quoted me a reduced premium to compensate for the what-might-have-been nightmares which I will probably suffer from. I have now entered a 'Check the insurance renewal' reminder in my computer diary to go with the 'Check car tax' and 'Check MoT' ones. So, delve into your paperwork and check that your cars are insured!

David

Just renewed my 1935 Ruby's insurance for the 18th consecutive year with RH and guess what they reduced the annual premium from £53.96 to £43.96 while I was on the phone to them.

Why I asked, well we thought we'd give you free Legal Expenses Cover she replied.
No other reason given.

talk about being GOBSMACKED!!!! That's what I call exceptional service.

Don't want to sound negative but did you check the fine print. Maybe UK Insurance Houses are more trustworthy than here.

Tony.

did I not hear on the news that Slater and Gordon share price had plummeted because of new laws making it harder to claim personal injury in a motor vehicle accident. Law firms loss, insurance company's gain, reduced premiums plus give away freebies that cost nothing.

I have just renewed my policy with RH - the documents are now coming direct from ERS who are the underwriters.

Good News: Same premium as last year.

Bad News: The thieving government is now trousering 9.5% IPT rather than 6%.

I have just been told that I have no Insurance by the Police, after a pull !! dispite renewing it in September as I thought, second time in two years R.H.haven`t done the renewal although they have had the paperwork back two months ago ??

It's worth using www.askmid.com to check it is showing as in insured on the motor insurers database. Saves a load of hassle if insurer has not updated the database and you are stopped by police after an anpr check.

I was stopped some years ago in my modern for no insurance when I knew I had renewed a week before and having received the new certificate which was at home. I was able to produce it at the local Police Station later that day but, since then, I always keep checking AskMID when I renew any of the insurances until it shows as renewed. They normal show that same day - but not always.

Steve

I have received a letter from the MID saying I am not insured, just like Dave Cochrane did. The difference being that I HAD paid my renewal. RH are looking into it for me now.

Completely separately I had the same happen with a totally different insurer with my camper van. The problem appears to be with the insurer having to go and input the new policy details onto the MID, which they are failing to do in some instances.

I will report later on the outcome of today's investigation.